Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a A*stars stage jacket and I kinda feel like they have some logo overkill going on. I was wondering if there was a way to remove the logo without messing up the leather. The injection molded Astar looks like its sewn on and with some finesse looks like it can be removed. My other concern is leaving a ghost of the Astar logo after removing it.

I would like to remove the logo on the chest. see how its cluttered up with the shoulder logo, then chest, then the little flap.

Here is a close up of the logo with the stitching

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I think it's a minor inconvenience and it's not worth messing up a $300 jacket just because it looks "cluttered". Besides, it's a bit nit-picky don't you think?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
IF its stitched on im sure you can remove it. Just use a brand new razor blade and be VERY careful.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
use a brand new razor blade. maybe even 2. it is leather though and when things are sewn on leather, the holes do not close. you will have a slight ghost of astar. shouldnt be too bad though cause the thread looks pretty thin.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
If you remove it im sure you will have a needle hole outline of it anyways, also might be another color underneither the patch now. But maybe you could find out for us :)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If you're going to take it off, cut the threads on top of the logo, that way if you mess up you only nic it and not the leather. It will still pull off that way.

Also, there is a little thread removal tool any seamstress should have that would help. Ask someone you know that sews about it.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
my suggestion....cut the top of a couple threads in one area. lift up that corner so you can see the threads between the leather and the patch. then as you gently pull up, touch the threads with the razor, with the blade angled slightly up toward the patch. if its sharp enough it should slide right through them, so go slowly and it won't stretch the holes bigger or cut the leather.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
isnt the whole point to show off the fact that you have an alpinestars jacket? Why would you remove the logo?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
i love a-stars, but it would be nice to have a ghost image of their logo.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
It's called a Seam Ripper. Get one at the fabric store. They're like 2 bucks. And dont ask me how I know this.
- brought to you by Mr. Home EC-

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
rocketscience said:
It's called a Seam Ripper. Get one at the fabric store. They're like 2 bucks. And dont ask me how I know this.
- brought to you by Mr. Home EC-
I was about to say the same thing.
I think i may do that with my S-MX, its got it written all along the sleeves; and get a clean look. naw maybe not, it really doesnt bother me.

Here's a tip, since your doing it at the perferated part, cut as many of the threads on top of the logo 1st, that way when you pull it up to cut the thread underneath it doesnt stress the softer perforated leather.
Good luck, dont blame us if you cut up your prefectly good jacket tho.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
I wouldn't chance it. Not worth messing up your jacket over a stupid logo. If you want to cover it up just throw some duct tape over it.

·
19,904 Posts
If you want to cover it up just throw some duct tape over it
Ha ha, i duct tape the crap out of my GP techgloves this past winter, to keep the air out so my hands wouldnt freeze. If dont right no one will notice that duct tape.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
If you go to a fabric store, or maybe even target, they have a tool that removes stitching. It's pointed at one end then leads to a blade that'll safely remove stitching without damaging the item.

·
19,904 Posts
And there we have it.
the everlasting seam ripper....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after reading all this I'm not so sure I wanna be the guinea pig for this one. thanks for the suggestions though.

CHEWKNOW said:
isnt the whole point to show off the fact that you have an alpinestars jacket? Why would you remove the logo?
well Its pretty obvious even if I'm missing the chest logo. I have it on both shoulders, on the chest flap, and the bottom of the back. I have the logo on my gloves, and my boots. so I don't think its gonna be hard to miss the fact that I have A*stars gear on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I removed the Spidi logo fr the shoulder of my one piece suit using an exacto blade- not a big deal. The outline is hardly noticeable. Should be even less noticeable on perforated leather.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I had the Woody racing emblem sewn onto the sleeves of my HRC jacket. The seamstress missed the beak on both sides, so after a few weeks I decided to take it off. Now there's a connect the dot of the Woody on my sleeves. It's not horrible, but it's enough to know it's there. I saw leave it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
socal said:
I removed the Spidi logo fr the shoulder of my one piece suit using an exacto blade- not a big deal. The outline is hardly noticeable. Should be even less noticeable on perforated leather.
you got pics?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts