Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My freind's and I are thinking of a road trip to chicago, IL. I have a freind over there to stay over and keep the bikes in a closed garage. If we do end up taking a car, we'll rent a trailor from U-haul and tow 3 bikes. Just wondering if any of you guys went about doing something similar. Any tips, precautions, or deals that I should know about?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
lil' redneck girl said:
i have canyon dancers and they work perfect for trailering the bikes. we went from florida to deal's gap like that. worked like a champ. also, grab some tie downs with ratchets JIC.
+1 on canyon dancers and ratchet tiedowns.. Had a friends bike put in my trailer awhile back w/ the rocker/pushbutton style tiedowns, and one of em just decided to let go and dropped the bike onto the rail..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
canadarr said:
Buy handle bar soft straps and make sure nothing is touching the plastics at all or it will rub the finish right off.
This is very true for a long trip. As far as the push button tie downs or ratchet style goes when it is strapped in take the excess of the strap and tie it at the ratchet or push button handle so it can't slip. When strapping it to the trailor compress your forks a good ways down, not all the way though cause you might bust your fork seals. connect your tie downs to the front of the trailor so when you tighten them it will keep the bike pulled forward. Don't connect them to the side of the trailor because this will let the bike move forward or backward.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Don't pack anything behind the bikes in the trailer, and don't forget to bring a ramp with you.

You just might find that after sitting in the car for a long ass time, you'll be dying for a ride on two wheels. This would be the perfect time to pull one of the bikes out and take turns riding it while the other guys drive (One guy drive, one guy rest, one guy riding. Rotate).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I trailered my bike to Deal's Gap from WI (1000 miles almost exactly). I used a canyon dancer on the front and strapped down the back from the passenger pegs. Check the bike every time you stop to make sure there is enough tension on the suspension. With my setup I had no problems at all.

·
Registered
729 Posts
lil' redneck girl said:
i have canyon dancers and they work perfect for trailering the bikes. we went from florida to deal's gap like that. worked like a champ. also, grab some tie downs with ratchets JIC.

what are canyon dancers and where do i get em? thanksss :book1:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Get something to lock them things up with!! I have a buddy who got one stolen off the trailer because it wasn't locked. They rolled it down and away it went. Get one of those chain locks that has the no-scratch foam padding over the chain. And never leave home without it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Make sure you have a hitch lock on the trailer, also. Its much easier to take the trailer than deal with unhooking/unloading the bike(s).

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Get yourself a Baxley Tire Chock...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts