Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my CBR before winter. I couldn't afford the monthly payments.

Now summer is almost here and I need another bike. I'm looking at a Ninja 650R, which is new this year....but very comparable to the SV650 which I'm guessing people are more familiar with.

I'm just hoping that I won't be too disapointed going from the RR to a "beginners bike".

I read all these reviews that say the SV650 and the Ninja are more fun than most true sports bikes (on normal roads). Mainly due to their low-mid range power. I don't go over 100mph very often and the Ninja and SV are supposed to pull strongly to about 120....and then they die out.

Plus I took my CBR on the track a few times....and I was never comfortable cornering it. I'm no noob though...I've been riding for 11 years and placed first with the other noobs on the track that day (there was 5 of us).

Sounds like these "easier to ride" bikes might be good for a year or two.

Or will it just feel like a slower bike....and that's it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My first bike was an SV (naked) It was a GREAT bike. Very easy to ride, and loads of fun, not to mention a pretty good track bike. The v-twin's definitely do not have the top-end power like the I-4's, but they are definitely torquey down on the low end. In other words, they are pretty good commuter bikes....great for just cruising around town.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I had an '03 SV650S and thought it was a great bike. Decent low end grunt off the line but lacked the power in the top end. I could not keep up with my brothers on their older ZX-11s, not a problem on the RR now. Although my RR has made me a more confident rider, in many ways I still miss the SV. I'd probably go for the SV over the 650R.

·
Registered
787 Posts
personally, i would get the ninja 650r, had a chance to see it in person and i thought it looks really nice although i didnt sit on it, i've seen the sv650 in person as well and it didnt made me look twice

if i couldnt afford the 600rr, and wanted a brand new bike, i would for sure get the 650r...beginner's bike or not, theres plenty of power to kill myself! plus, its all in the rider anyway...you can have fun with anything 600

pics are worth a thousand words
(all are '06 models)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know one guy who owned a SV650 then bought a 650R. This is what he had to say about it:

...basically the Ninja is so much easier to ride than the SV. I always thought the SV was easy and nimble but that was before I rode the Ninja. The Ninja feels smoother, more balanced and lighter than the SV. My own theory is that the placement of the muffler helps keep the center of gravity low which makes it easier to ride. My SV was always wanting to fall over to the right. Granted, my SV was an '01, so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I think anyone who says the SV is better, hasn't ridden the Ninja. Let me know if there any specific differences you are wondering about.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I don't really have a dog in this fight but for what it's worth here is my .02. Motor cyclist magazine had a article on the Ninja 650 last month, it was the cover story. The test riders seemed really happy with the overall performance of the bike and made it sound as if they had a blast riding this thing, they pretty much went on to say it was an overall better bike than the SV.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Road racing world liked the SV better than the Kawasaki. Fact is both would be fun bikes to run on the street so just get the one YOU prefer. That pretty much goes for all the new bikes out there in the same class. Who honestly can tell the difference of 1-2 hp and a tenth of a second faster on lap times.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've never ridden either, but as far as getting a good value, it wouldn't hurt you to look for used SVs, '03 and on. You'll save some cash and many times you can find ones that have the more popular upgrades like a GSX-R front end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts