Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out of town on business, but came home to find both of my bikes laying on their right side. Both had broken mirrors and footpegs, scratched plastics, broken turn signals - would have been worse without sliders. I first thought someone had backed in to them - its happened before to just the older bike while I (thankfully) had the CBR at work, but friends and co-workers tell me a vicious storm came through about 3:00 in the afternoon before I returned.

The CBR survived 60 mph gusts without a scratch when I had it on a camping trip last year. The storm probably did it, but I had to wonder about it.

Sucks because the ins deductible is $500 per bike and that is about what it is going to cost me to fix each of them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
that blows dude... I hate to hear that, thank gawd mine is in a climate controlled garage!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that blows dude... I hate to hear that, thank gawd mine is in a climate controlled garage!
I wish I had a garage, but in an apt complex for the time being. What also stinks is that if I had not been out of town, I would have had the CBR at work and it would have been protected in a parking garage. I also was getting ready to advertise the other bike for sale. Now I have to decide if I am going to take a hit on the sale price by selling as is, or fix it and risk not recovering the repair costs on the sale.:banghead:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you find out how fast the winds were?
No not specifically, but heard that there were microbursts with hail. Lots of trees down, several houses damaged by falling trees and about 10,000 people lost power.

It could have been the storm, but if the 60mph gusts experience on Cape Hatteras last July didn't take it down, I'm not sure why this storm would be any different.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yup, had my bike covered, one of the straps must had torn, caused the cover to ballon like a spinnaker sail in the America's Cup, tipped the bike. Got a LoJack alert at work saying it had been moved, went home to find it down. Pissed me off too, bike was pristine before, now it's got some scuffage :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, had my bike covered, one of the straps must had torn, caused the cover to ballon like a spinnaker sail in the America's Cup, tipped the bike. Got a LoJack alert at work saying it had been moved, went home to find it down. Pissed me off too, bike was pristine before, now it's got some scuffage :(

I didn't even think about the cover. It was not covered when it survived the previous storm. This time it was - wonder if that's what did it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A buddy of mine in the apt. complex I previously resided had his R1 parked outside in the heat of the summer. He fell victim to some soft asphalt and scuffed his left side fairings.

A week later, it was covered when a big ol storm came through and damn if the cover didn't pull the same stunt and ballon up as the wind blew through and pulled it right over onto the right side. It of course didnt help that the side stand was on the uphill side of the bike leaving it less leaned than it could have been.

Cost him a pretty penny to put on a whole new set of fairings.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
that sucks man,sorry to hear it. it probably was your cover for sure

·
Registered
61 Posts
No not specifically, but heard that there were microbursts with hail. Lots of trees down, several houses damaged by falling trees and about 10,000 people lost power.

It could have been the storm, but if the 60mph gusts experience on Cape Hatteras last July didn't take it down, I'm not sure why this storm would be any different.
It probably was the cover but are you taking into account how the bike was oriented to the wind? 60 mph onto the left side is worse that 60 mph onto the right side because of the kickstand. Also, when you had it at Cape Hatteras it may have been taking the gusts from the front and taking it broadside at home this time. Wind is tricky how it funnels between buildings and trees and swirls and spins. In the right situation I can see it knocking a bike over with a cover on or not.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It probably was the cover but are you taking into account how the bike was oriented to the wind? 60 mph onto the left side is worse that 60 mph onto the right side because of the kickstand. Also, when you had it at Cape Hatteras it may have been taking the gusts from the front and taking it broadside at home this time. Wind is tricky how it funnels between buildings and trees and swirls and spins. In the right situation I can see it knocking a bike over with a cover on or not.
Yeah this is what I was thinking. The direction of the wind is a huge factor on how much wind the bike can withstand. Also if the bike is on level ground or not.

·
Registered
533 Posts
my bike blew over about 2 weeks after having her. ruined my rear tail section as well as scuffed up my frame slider, mirror, and passenger peg. i have a thread of it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
tell them one bike blew into the other so you should only have to pay one deductible. see if that works :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wonder if it would be more stable during a storm to have the bike on rear/front stands. I'm in a similar situation without a garage and don't want these stupid northeastern winds to knock over my pride and joy.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
If you were out at Jennings this past weekend 2 bikes got blown over during a freak micro burst... Lots of mangled tents thrown around the paddocks. T
So yes have heard of this..

·
Registered
796 Posts
+1. It happened to my friend's bike too. He had the bike cover on in a parking lot and I guess it acted as a sail and pushed the bike over.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where I live, apt buildings surround the entire parking area except for the entrance/exit. Also lots of trees around. I thought all of the buildings would have sheltered it some, but I guess its possible that all of those fixed objects may have created more turbulence. In Hatteras it was more out in the open - not as many objects around. I thought I was doing the right thing keeping it covered while I was gone - mainly concerned about the ultraviolet beating down on it. So much for that. The bike was not sitting at much of an angle so I don't think that made much of a difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts