Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many months now I've been contemplating selling the 600rr for a VFR 800... What are your experiences with them? How would you compare it against the 600rr? power/brakes/nimble?

I've done my research and it appears that they are universally well received bikes... but I'd like to hear how they compare against a 600rr (what you miss about it, what you disliked about it... etc)

If I missed anything that you feel is noteworthy please include it.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
959 Posts
my first "real" bike before the cbr was my father VFR 750. I still ride it sometimes, and all I can say is that it's a great bike for touring, way better than the cbr...you can keep going for thousand miles on it! the only thing i don't like are the brakes, forget the power of the cbr brakes and forget to brake while leaning too.... but i'm sure honda improved it on the new models.
btw don't forget that vfr and cbr are totally different bikes, so you should try one before buying one....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my first "real" bike before the cbr was my father VFR 750. I still ride it sometimes, and all I can say is that it's a great bike for touring, way better than the cbr...you can keep going for thousand miles on it! the only thing i don't like are the brakes, forget the power of the cbr brakes and forget to brake while leaning too.... but i'm sure honda improved it on the new models.
btw don't forget that vfr and cbr are totally different bikes, so you should try one before buying one....
I'd LOVE to test ride one... I'm 90% sure I'd like it, I've been after the dealer to throw a test ride day or something because I want to try the VFR that's been sitting the showroom for like a year and a half now. Keep telling me to buy it so that I can find out what it's like... but I'll buy used if that's the case.

Forget the power of the CBR? The specs say that the VFR800 has ~105HP and does the quarter in 11.4, a little over a 1/2 second slower doesn't seem that bad. Is the power difference that different?

Forget brakes? huh?... I usually like brakes!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The way I see it;

CBR=Noble M15

Awesome looks, lightweight, great handling, and you can use it for weekend blasts and everyday if you don't have any luggage.

VFR=Audi Q7

Looks good, heavy, powerful, good handling but not as good, and you can carry more luggage than you'll ever need.

It all depends on what your going to use if for, and personal preference

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've done my research and it appears that they are universally well received bikes...
I toke one as courtesy bike while I had my tyres changed a while back and I thought it was pretty boring. Its got a nice smooth engine and good power delivery. I would only consider one of these once I'm old and grey.
I would say they are no where near as much fun as an RR.

Here is a pretty honest assessment from MCN as are the comments given.

I hear that the older, late VFR750's were much better bike and the resale prices back that up.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-VFR800-V-Tec-2001---current--/?&R=EPI-337

·
Registered
959 Posts
i meant the power of the brakes...on the 750 are pretty weak. about the engine power it's almost the same but don't forget that the vfr is heavier than a cbr....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I owned a 2000 VFR and while I thoroughly enjoyed it I would never (or at least not anytime soon) go back after the CBR.

VFR Advantages:
-- Roomier, more upright riding position (mine had heli bars)
-- Engine sounds awesome

CBR Advantages:
-- A lot more fun to ride
-- Much lighter
-- Better handling, acceleration
-- Better brakes and way better suspension
-- Engine is smoother; VFR got a bit buzzy at times

Cheers

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, wow... you guys are making the VRF sound like it's a really good grocery getter. At first I thought this bike was a little more sport than touring... but sounds like the opposite true. Anyone know of a bike that something a little inbetween both CBR600/VFR?

I finally broke down and was considering buying one sight unseen, but after these responses I'm definitely going to try it before I buy... Do your dealers normally offer this? How does one go about trying a bike before he purchases it?

·
Registered
881 Posts
i had a 97 750 and a 00 800 vfr. ive also ridden a 91 and an 02.

the only things i dont like about the vfr are they weigh a ton and the suspension sucks. if you just want a decent sport tourer its a great bike, theres a reason why it got bike of the years for like 10 years straight.

if you do some weight reduction, throw on some updated suspension from an rc51/929/954, lose the linked brakes, and gear it properly, you can hang with any of the 600s out there.

my favorites

the engine
the sound of the engine
single side swingarm

the negatives

heavy
poor suspension
linked brakes

ill own one as a second bike one day when i have cash. also stay away from the 02s and up. you dont want a vtec model. best year was the 98-99. it was fuel injected and 800ccs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I own a 2007 CBR 600 and a 2003 VFR.

The VFR is a great bike and it does what it was designed for very well.

Naturally the CBR handles, accelerates and stops better.....it's a true sport bike. In the twisties the CBR wins easily, and is much more fun for an afternoon of curve chasing.

The VFR is more sport than tourer, but can easily be ridden all day. It is quite capable in the twisties and I have surprised more than a few sport bikes on back country roads. You can easily drag pegs and knees on the VFR.

The stock seat is pretty much crap. I replaced it with a Sargent and can ride all day long in comfort. The stock suspension is perfect for sport touring, but needs upgrades if you want to ride hard in the twisties. I put a Penske on the rear and upgraded my forks with new springs and valves after 28,000 miles. I also added EBC HH brake pads. The linked brakes are nice.....you get just a dab of rear brake when you pull the front lever and it helps settle the suspension under hard braking......a nice thing to have on a bike weighing 475 pounds dry.

I know that when I want to disappear for a few days at time I have the perfect bike waiting for me in the garage. Comfortable for a long day in the saddle but still fun when the roads starts to bend.

I love my VFR and will probably not part with it for a long time. I have seen several with over 100,000 miles and still running strong with out having once opened up the motor for anything other than valve adjustment. Mine has been anvil solid in 6 years of ownership.

The bike is a compromise, so it's not wildly popular. But if you want one bike that does it all, it's very hard to beat. Find someone who will let you test ride theirs.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a 03 VFR and 03 CBR. On the CBR your more of a front wheel rider. The VFR you sit more upright but can easily adjust your sitting position. CBR has great brakes, the VFR's are better. My VFR has Linked ABS and its freaking great. My only gripe as far as the brakes go (ss lines and warmer pads) is on the track no trail braking since they are linked. The VFR is def. heavier and if you weigh less than 160 your gonna have to work a little to make it as fast as the CBR around the track. The suspension isnt nearly as adjustable as the CBR's. The VFR stock is super quiet, CBR not so much. The seat is way way more comfortable. The VFR makes a lot of torque lower than the CBR. My VFR has VTec(sp) so the transition is really rough(imHO) around 6500 rpm. On trackdays sometimes I have over rev issues and bounce off of the rev limiter because the transition point 6500RPM sounds and feels alot like 12500RPM. Fuel is like 5.8Gal vs 4.8. Under heavy noise maker use I get the same mpg as the CBR but not usually. Highway type stuff I get late 40's and early 50's. Cockpit features digital odometer steam tach, digital temp gauge to include OAT,a lastly digital fuel gauge the same as CBR. The clutch is hydraulic and kinda far for a small hand to reach. I use 2cts on the CBR and Road 2's or just straight pilot powers and I get ok mileage (I beat my toys pretty hard). The windscreen is awesome for wind/cold protection. You can go 80-90 without feeling like your going 50. Where as on the CBR the wind @ 50 feels as if your going 70. The VFR seat height is slightly lower then the CBR ( I can touch both feet on the ground on the VFR.) The ABS is non intrusive so long as your not really fast on the track. If you are a level 1 rider your gonna feel it on some of the real deep braking scenarios. VFR has a center stand and a side stand so for maintenance all you really need is a front stand. Thats all I really have time to type right now, if you are really considering getting a different bike I highly suggest you trade bikes with someone for a week or at least test ride one. My .02 worth what you paid for it.
-Chris.

VFR Forums I frequent are http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/ and http://vfrworld.com/forums/

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like Johnmark101, I also have a 2003 VFR and an 07 CBR 600 RR.

I agree with nearly all of his points, and honestly the VFR outperforms many 600's and some 1000's in the twisties. No it isn't a pure sport bike but it does everything very well, and a 700 mile day won't leave you in the fetal position on the floor like the CBR will...

It is a very forgiving bike and not too bad on tires- I run PP front and PPCT2 rear and get about 4K out of the rears, six on the fronts.

The linked brakes are good for street use because the whole bike sort of "squats" due to the LBS. Very stable and yet very nimble in the twisties.

You do use the whole tire on the VFR, I have actually busted off the peg feelers (about an inch long) and worn my share of pucks down. It will absolutely keep up with more pure sport machines and lays the power down very well thanks to the V4.

I have no issues with the VTEC power delivery, it is much better than "people hear".

The bike is hugely popular in Europe where riders appreciate a bike that does a lot of things well. It has more of a cult following here.

And if you want to see what can be done with a VFR on a track, check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqQnRrvask

·
Registered
733 Posts
Occasionally I may grind down a peg feeler or two but shortly after rubbing the feelers your gonna contact the center stand pad and things will start to go bad after that. Also you dont have to keep the bike on boil the whole time like one would like to on the CBR. The VFR doesnt require as much tap dancing to stay cruising but, if your running a higher pace your gonna do more tap dancing because the VFR's gears are shorter than the CBR.
-Chris.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Occasionally I may grind down a peg feeler or two but shortly after rubbing the feelers your gonna contact the center stand pad and things will start to go bad after that. Also you dont have to keep the bike on boil the whole time like one would like to on the CBR.
Yeah, I really need to replace my peg feelers. And if you try to run the VFR like a CBR, you'll overheat the thing, especially going uphill at high altitude. It's a different beast.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the good insight/info guys... I really appreciate it.

I would love to be able to test ride one... But the dealer doesn't seem to want to let me, even though I told them I'd be willing to buy it on the spot if I liked it. I found a guy relatively close to me (3+ hours away) with a really nice white 2006 VFR, but he's not interested in letting me "test" it out either which I completely understand. I told him I'd put a part of it down... + keys to my bike but that I wanted a way to back out (for a small fee) if I wasn't too keen on the VFR.

Oh well, I guess it's for the best... I love my bike. I think I might have to follow the route of the others on here with VFRs and get one to compliment and not replace my 600rr. Speaking of which, the VFR is getting a little long in the tooth... anyone know/heard of any plans on an update? I believe that 2003 was the last time they made significant changes to the bike so I'm hoping that a new one might be coming out soon.

Thanks again for all the info!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Speaking of which, the VFR is getting a little long in the tooth... anyone know/heard of any plans on an update? I believe that 2003 was the last time they made significant changes to the bike so I'm hoping that a new one might be coming out soon.

Thanks again for all the info!
There have been rumors every year for at least the past five years, with people posting "secret photos" and magazine articles with "inside information", none of which has panned out. Rumored features include a V-5 motor.

You have to consider that the bike met 2008 emissions standards back when it was last updated in 2002, and then consider the global economy right now- the VFR (in Europe) still sells well and Honda isn't going to change it wiithout good reason. Even the styling is quite current. The problem is it isn't all that popular here, which is Honda's biggest market.

I would like to see an update, but the truth is that the 02-09 bikes are really still one of the finest "all-around" streetbikes you can get. They don't specialize in any one area, but do everything well. The suspension is a good street suspension, the lighting package is still one of the best(except things like the taillamps, which are still filament), the brakes are still excellent, the motor is adequate.

I think if we do see an update it will most likely bring in inverted forks, radial calipers, more tunable suspension, things like that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When the 500 VFR came out in the 80"s I puchased one.
I had grey hair then and now I ride a 09 rr.
The Tech change between them is massive.
Im almost 50 and I cant imagine riding any thing else.

1969 Triumph Bonneville 650
1981 Kawasaki 1300 6-cyl.
1981 HONDA GL 1100
2000 Yamaha V-Star 650
1984 Yamaha SR 500
2009 CBR 600RR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts