Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
BOTM winner 11/12
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am considering buying a dirt bike. I bought one for my son and he loves it, the wife and I are considering buying some so that we can ride with him. My wife is actually pretty excited about it...

So i found this one on CL and went to take a look at it...

Here is the Original Ad on CL http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3180276972.html

I don't know much about dirt bikes. It is a 2 stroke and there were a few issues that i could see.

It needs new rear pads
Both front fork seals were leaking pretty badly
You had to hold the throttle because the idle wasn't enough to keep it running

Other than that it seemed to be pretty decent, the shifter was nothing like the rr, it was very sloppy and the clutch felt pretty worn. I guess this is common with used dirt bikes?

Any opinions would be appreciated. I don't really know if this is a good deal or not..

He did have an extra set of rims and tires, as well as the original service manual and stand. He also had a chest protector to throw in with it...

Deal or no Deal????

·
Registered
192 Posts
Definitely a bad deal. I had the yamaha 225 ttr it was as old as this one with NONE of these issues. It sounds like he abused that one. I bought and sold my 225 for $600.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
991 Posts
^^^ disregard that, ttr 225 and an RM 250 are completely different bikes. Its not a bad price but its probably a bad bike for you. An RM 250 is a full size motocross bike. The seals go out all the time from racing and are easy to replace. The clutch is probably sloppy because its a two stroke and the guy didnt know how to keep on it in the corners but also not uncommon. For your first dirt bike I would say move on. I assume you just want to chase your kids around? Go get a trail bike. If you want the performance with a heavier fly wheel and taller gears and a more forgiving throttle I recommend the WR's or the CRF-X's. Whats your height/weight and riding style you want to be doing? I can fill you in more on the details.

edit: also the bike idling is very common as well, probably due to the carb needing a good cleaning and to be re-jetted.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
clutch is no big deal, same with fork seals. 1200 for a 2 stroke is a pretty good deal. Not really a starter bike to ride with your son. Throw a few hundred into it and ride. I hate suzuki and have had no luck with my old rmz 450, worst bike by far I ever owned.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I would inqure about hours on the top end as well as last time it was given a full rebuild. a 2000 2 stroke is bound to have a ton of hours on her. The good thing about the 2 strokers over the 4 is cost. They are way cheaper to maintain and the same goes for rebuilding them when they go to ****. I use to rebuild my race bike every 30-45 hours (the top end that is). I let it go for 56 hours one time and ceased the motor... scared the cylinder walls and had to get it sleeved to be able to run it again. But that was my race bike and I would rider her hard an put her up wet for those 30-45 hours.

·
Registered
760 Posts
And you can find a decent late model 2 stroke for around that price hoss... I would (and this is only if your really wanting that particular bike) offer him 800.00 at most. Otherwise shop around and locate a newer model for 1200.00 .. I see them all day around my area going for that price range and they are 06's or so.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Definitely a bad deal. I had the yamaha 225 ttr it was as old as this one with NONE of these issues. It sounds like he abused that one. I bought and sold my 225 for $600.

Ttr 225 is a baby bike. Does it even have gears haha. Yamahas are bulletproof.

·
Registered
760 Posts
clutch is no big deal, same with fork seals. 1200 for a 2 stroke is a pretty good deal. Not really a starter bike to ride with your son. Throw a few hundred into it and ride. I hate suzuki and have had no luck with my old rmz 450, worst bike by far I ever owned.
Hey guy... he rides a rocket.. I bet he knows throttle moderation :crackup: enough to not let a 250 smoker out run him.

just say'n

·
BOTM winner 11/12
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ disregard that, ttr 225 and an RM 250 are completely different bikes. Its not a bad price but its probably a bad bike for you. An RM 250 is a full size motocross bike. The seals go out all the time from racing and are easy to replace. The clutch is probably sloppy because its a two stroke and the guy didnt know how to keep on it in the corners but also not uncommon. For your first dirt bike I would say move on. I assume you just want to chase your kids around? Go get a trail bike. If you want the performance with a heavier fly wheel and taller gears and a more forgiving throttle I recommend the WR's or the CRF-X's. Whats your height/weight and riding style you want to be doing? I can fill you in more on the details.

edit: also the bike idling is very common as well, probably due to the carb needing a good cleaning and to be re-jetted.
I don't know much about carbs, figured this would probably be a little out of my skill set to adjust these.. Im not looking for a whole lot, to be honest, i will probably just be "chasing the kid around" lol, for the most part anyways. Im about 6'0 185lbs, the bike seemed pretty quick and light, but i was thinking it might be a little much considering what i would be using it for.. Do you think a smaller 125 would do the job??

I was thinking it might be overkill for my first dirt bike... I don't know much about the difference in brands. I love my Honda on the street but don't know much about the off road stuff.. Thanks for the advise!

I would inqure about hours on the top end as well as last time it was given a full rebuild. a 2000 2 stroke is bound to have a ton of hours on her. The good thing about the 2 strokers over the 4 is cost. They are way cheaper to maintain and the same goes for rebuilding them when they go to ****. I use to rebuild my race bike every 30-45 hours (the top end that is). I let it go for 56 hours one time and ceased the motor... scared the cylinder walls and had to get it sleeved to be able to run it again. But that was my race bike and I would rider her hard an put her up wet for those 30-45 hours.
He said that he put a new piston and rings in it about a year ago, im not sure what kind of hours it has on it, but he did say that he would go on 130mi rides in WV with an oversized tank. He also mentioned that he only ran 101octane race gas in it and that it would act up on anything else... This bike seems like it would be a lot more maint. than i am used to doing myself. Might consider something smaller...

·
BOTM winner 11/12
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And you can find a decent late model 2 stroke for around that price hoss... I would (and this is only if your really wanting that particular bike) offer him 800.00 at most. Otherwise shop around and locate a newer model for 1200.00 .. I see them all day around my area going for that price range and they are 06's or so.
Ok cool, thanks for the info!

Hey guy... he rides a rocket.. I bet he knows throttle moderation :crackup: enough to not let a 250 smoker out run him.

just say'n
Thanks, lol. Im sure that i could keep it in control, im just thinking that i might not need all that if i am just going to be cruisin around with little man on his 50cc.. But i would hate to get a smaller one and really like it, and want to upgrade too though. Decisions, Decisions...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ridden one, I weigh 140 and I bottomed out the shocks. If that's not an issue, they are fun for a little 5spd!

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
What did you get the little man. I've ridden for years. I was planning on getting my son a pw50 for Christmas then let him get the hang of it for a year or two then get him on the crf.

·
Registered
760 Posts
PW50's are great bikes for our little ones. They have one of the lowest seat heights in the market for peewees. I should have probably gotten my boy one first off but I figured Id hook him up with something a little more........ bad ass lol 2006 KTM Pro senior 50 is what my 4 yo is on now. With training wheels of course :)

I took him out to a wide open field and he got whisky throttle I tried to stop him and he let go of the gas and grabed a hand full of front brake.. he went flipping and scorpioned himself like a champ... I honestly got worried for a minute but he jumped up took his helmet off and spit out the dirt in his mouth and asked me to flip it back over... Proud daddy moment happened then. My son is going to be just like me... (god help me)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts