Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am selling my KTM 300 on Craigslist. Always a good time.

I get an email from Marc Anthony (ya that's exactly what I thought), asking, in obvious broken english, about the condition and the price of the "product". It was odd because both were included in the ad, but hell I figured I'd humor him, and I sort of disliked the idea of ignoring a potential buyer. So I emailed him back the condition and asking price then invited him to come see the bike and make me an offer.

Well, he gets back to me explaining that he will buy my "product" but will not be able to come see it because of work and his restrictions in regards to using the telephone and internet. Then he proceeds to ask the condition and final selling price again. He explains he will pay me the secure way! PAYPAL!!! I don't have a problem with PAYPAL, but I do in this case. He said he has a private courier that will retrieve the bike from my house so there are no shipping costs. All he needed was my PAYPAL email and telephone number, which was in the ad and he can't use a phone anyway appearently.

I laughed, and replied no thank you. Making sure to tell him to tell J. Lo. I said HI!!!!:ciao: and went on with my day.

But I have to wonder what the scam was? I've seen this played out the other way, deposit money in this account and I will have my private courier drop off the bike, sorry I mean "product". BTW, why does everyone seem to have their own private courier? Anyway, I just don't understand the angle? Was it to get my paypal information? It doesn't seem as though there's enough info there for him to do anything. Was he really going to send a courier? Or did someone explain how the scam works to him incorrectly? I mean he can have the bike if he shows up with cash, I'm a cash kinda guy.

Any thoughts on how this works? My thought is maybe he was hoping I would agree and not understand how paypal works and ultimately gain my password. I donno.

I

·
0 Posts
I get these dumb emails all the time from craigslist. I just ignore them most of the time although I did get them to think I was going to send them some money. They were acting like a Russian female that needed to get to the states and needed $500 more or some crap like that. Of course I wasn't going to play Captain Save A ___. I did get some hot photos out of the deal..:fyou:

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
well if you knew anything paypal is the most trust worthy way to do internet transactions according to WINNING!...

anyways def sounds like a scam, it hasn't happened to me but i would just delete the emails and move on. i would never take paypal for a high price item. i prefer in person hand shake, title, bill of sale, etc

ps you mentioned he cant use the phone or internet except he wants your paypal which as far as i know you can only do online and phone numbers require use of a phone...

I

·
0 Posts
well if you knew anything paypal is the most trust worthy way to do internet transactions according to WINNING!...

anyways def sounds like a scam, it hasn't happened to me but i would just delete the emails and move on. i would never take paypal for a high price item. i prefer in person hand shake, title, bill of sale, etc

ps you mentioned he cant use the phone or internet except he wants your paypal which as far as i know you can only do online and phone numbers require use of a phone...
:crackup::crackup: For the record I sent him that bolt free of charge. Although getting his paypal password would have been nice. WINNING is popular here for some reason...:dontknow:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, ya at least you got some pic infinate

XX: ya I know paypal is secure, actually I use it quite often for ebay purchase and the like. I'll take a high price item if its from ebay with their consumer protections, I bought a PRS guitar once. But ya I thought the phone and internet lines were funny as well. The other thing is, soo if you have a job that restricts you this much, why are you replying so fast and if you work so much when are going to ride a dirt bike? haha

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
:crackup::crackup: For the record I sent him that bolt free of charge. Although getting his paypal password would have been nice. WINNING is popular here for some reason...:dontknow:
that was cool of you, its what fellow members should do. when i posted in that thread i wasn't talking about you. hes just and ass hat.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
Haha, ya at least you got some pic infinate

XX: ya I know paypal is secure, actually I use it quite often for ebay purchase and the like. I'll take a high price item if its from ebay with their consumer protections, I bought a PRS guitar once. But ya I thought the phone and internet lines were funny as well. The other thing is, soo if you have a job that restricts you this much, why are you replying so fast and if you work so much when are going to ride a dirt bike? haha
im not against paypal but i would not take a payment for a car or motorcycle via it, that's just my personal opinion. a lot of my customers use paypal trust me there are flaws. ebay and paypal are not the same thing, even though they are coupled in many ways.

in fact i just bought a bottle opener off of ebay using paypal:thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not against paypal but i would not take a payment for a car or motorcycle via it, that's just my personal opinion. a lot of my customers use paypal trust me there are flaws. ebay and paypal are not the same thing, even though they are coupled in many ways.
Agreed, a car or bike is too large for my comfort zone. In your experience what benefit does he gain by using paypal? I'm assuming that paypal has something to do with making his scheme work.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Agreed, a car or bike is too large for my comfort zone. In your experience what benefit does he gain by using paypal? I'm assuming that paypal has something to do with making his scheme work.
Maybe put in a claim saying item not received??

·
Registered
14,362 Posts

in fact i just bought a bottle opener off of ebay using paypal:thumbup:
Ebay owns PayPal. PayPal has buyer protection if you buy through Ebay, but VERY limited if you buy elsewhere.

If I sell you an item on Craigslist and ship it to you all I have to do is require a signature and I'm covered. I can send you a box of rocks and as long as you sign for it I win. If the transaction happens through Ebay you have protection.

If you are the buyer (outside of the bay) and you aren't required to sign for the package you can file a dispute and you'll win. It really is that simple. I use PayPal for large transactions all the time, but I also know the rules very well.

The email about the "item" or the "product" is one I get 5 times a day (I buy and sell ~100 guitars a year on CL) and I safely ignore them. Replying is pointless.

Everything you need to know about the rules and what kind of resolution to expect is right here,

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-security/ct-p/Disputesandsecurity

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ebay owns PayPal. PayPal has buyer protection if you buy through Ebay, but VERY limited if you buy elsewhere.

If I sell you an item on Craigslist and ship it to you all I have to do is require a signature and I'm covered. I can send you a box of rocks and as long as you sign for it I win. If the transaction happens through Ebay you have protection.

If you are the buyer (outside of the bay) and you aren't required to sign for the package you can file a dispute and you'll win. It really is that simple. I use PayPal for large transactions all the time, but I also know the rules very well.

The email about the "item" or the "product" is one I get 5 times a day (I buy and sell ~100 guitars a year on CL) and I safely ignore them. Replying is pointless.

Everything you need to know about the rules and what kind of resolution to expect is right here,
Ok well that makes sense. I can see how it comes together now. Cool thanks. I don't think I'll be responding next time. But hey the first time you see it I guess you can humor the guy. No ill effects just one of those things.

What types of guitars do you sell?

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
What types of guitars do you sell?
Whatever people are willing to accept a low-ball offer on. Austin Craigslist is an instrument goldmine. I make offers all day long, and the ones I buy get new strings and a cleanup. Then I take good pics and host them on my own server. I can make 20-30% on a guitar in just a few hours with 10 minutes work.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I get these dumb emails all the time from craigslist. I just ignore them most of the time although I did get them to think I was going to send them some money. They were acting like a Russian female that needed to get to the states and needed $500 more or some crap like that. Of course I wasn't going to play Captain Save A ___. I did get some hot photos out of the deal..:fyou:
:needpics:

Just sayin

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm pretty sure they say there using paypal, but they will prob send you a link to a site that looks and feels like paypal, but its really there own thing in disguise.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As above - I suspect this is where you get sent an email from Paypal saying you have been paid and maybe even a link to a bogus site that says you have been paid just incase you go checking.

Either that or they take bike away after paying you and then file a claim to get the money back and you have no proof it was sent since their own fake courier does not give you anything that counts as evidence.

I got lots of simmilar things on Gumtree (UK version of CL) for an iphone wanting to buy it for more than I was asking but always through Paypal.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nope... they'll send you a fake PayPal email saying you've been paid, but they can't release the funds until you send tracking confirmation. You can quickly forward this email to [email protected] and they will instantly come back saying it's a fake.

Also, since the emails are sent from one address on behalf of PayPal (that's how they make it look like it comes directly from PayPal) GMail usually marks it as SPAM or displays an ALERT across the top of the email saying it wasn't sent by the person indicated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I got one Craigslist response (on a helmet) wanting me to sign up for some adult friend finder site... it included quite a few nudes "to prove she was real"... LOL

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Another thing they can do sometimes is pay, but with a certain bank account with insuffieient funds. It will be processing through paypal for a while. That might be when he sends his guys to pick up the bike. Then days later you find out he had insufficient funds. You get screwed and all he has to pay is a $50 NSF fee. All banks are different, some would overdraft, it all depends.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Its a scam. They have bots that scour through craigs sending emails.

My one buddy got taken hard...he's not bright, and a funny story. He was selling a sawzaw on craigslist, and someone agreed to buy it. I think he was asking like $100 for it. A girl bought it (first sign of the scam to me!), but she brought a cashier's check for like $2400...she "freaked" out when she had realized her "mistake". Now this is where the scam takes place. She asked him if he would give her change back for the difference, but he could keep an additional $100 for his inconvenience. The jackass gave her the money, he cashed the check, and it did what??? yeah, bounced like a pair of titties. Sucka. Be very careful on there. Don't meet them at your house. Make it a public place, and accept only cash! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts