Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an exhaust that comes out by the feet so I can get rid of the under tail exhaust.

Does anyone make one for the 05 600rr?
Something like what comes on the R6.
I racefit growler or something similar?

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Reactions: travr6

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
OP, just curious, why do you want to switch to a side exhaust rather than under tail?

Reactions: travr6

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
moe. Tomts bike has the dual outlet arrow. Not at all what the op is looking for
I know what you mean but i figured he might ask if they sell such a set up instead of going the fabrication route and all i can think of was Arrow :banger:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP, just curious, why do you want to switch to a side exhaust rather than under tail?

Have never liked undertail exhausts. It's added weight and added heat.
I don't think they look particularly good either. The R6 pipe that comes out by the foot is by far my favorite set up.

Built my last R1 and converted the exhaust. Saved around 25 lbs.

during the build

nearly done

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,730 Posts
OP get arrow headers cut at the part that midpipe connects buy an r6 exhaust and either weld it together or make a lil bracket sleve that connects the two that's what I did..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP get arrow headers cut at the part that midpipe connects buy an r6 exhaust and either weld it together or make a lil bracket sleve that connects the two that's what I did..

Why get an arrow pipe? Why not just cut the stock headers? What is the difference?

Any pictures of yours?

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
btw... Thanks moe. Very informative. I really like Eeklund's set up.
My pleasure :shakehand I found a few others as well :banger:

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
When/if I go this route, I'm going to look into 1000RR exhausts that have some midpipe length to them; shortening exhaust routing can radically change the tuning needs of an engine, and shorter pipes often lead to reduced power (check out race bikes where extra piping length is wound up in the tail). i.e. I would be leery of tacking the can directly to the pipe just after the oil pan.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,730 Posts
Why get an arrow pipe? Why not just cut the stock headers? What is the difference?

Any pictures of yours?
I don't know how the angle would line up cuz thats the part on the stock headers where the cat is located.

as for the 1000rr exhaust in the pic it will not fit its been tested, also side exit has les curves its a more direct air flow I don't see why you would lose power. Actually most of the bikes are dropping the undertail exhaust. 1krr had it Ducati had it and all of them are switching over theres even a kit for the r1 to make it onto a side pipe.. unnecessary weight.

OP this is what im putting on mine

its an titanium Akrapovic megaphone.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
also side exit has les curves its a more direct air flow I don't see why you would lose power.
If you look at some of the prototype bikes, you can see they've added piping for more distance to the exit:

Adding length does something with timing and backpressure, probably making it more tuneable and having something to do with ensuring the 'blow' portion of the cycle is completely properly. If you look at full systems for bikes with side exhausts, you can see them integrating more piping before the can.

Then again, some are very short:

So clearly it can be accounted for, I would just make a tune mandatory after changing piping like that.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,730 Posts
hehe you cant compare gp bikes. hehe those pipes are hand made and are worth probably around 100k and to make my point they do have a side exit as well.

im using an bazzaz autotune with mine so ill post first hand to see what happens.

btw FC im not saying your wrong at all Im just saying I haven't seen any visual proof that short or long exhausts effect much to a positive/negative outcome with a proper map.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts