Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 600RR, but I have a few problems with it.

1. My ass feels like it's going to fall off after 100 miles or so.
2. Lets face it, it sucks for 2up riding.

I've been looking for something a little more touring oriented, but still able to tear up the twisties.

The VFR800 seems great for the task, but I'm concerned about a lack of power with a passenger. I've looked at ST1300's, but it seems like it would be a bit of a pig canyon carving. The Blackbird/CBR1100XX seems like a nice middle ground. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm open to ideas. I've just always owned and worked on Hondas so it's what I'm comfortable with.

I was considering putting some luggage on a ZRX1200, but I kind of got spoiled by the fuel injection on my RR. I ride pretty much year round in Vermont, and it's nice not to have to mess around with a choke when it's 30 degrees out.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
the Kawi Z1000 looks like it might be a good choice, as is the Yamaha FZ1.
Honda needs to sell the CB1000 in the states.

·
Registered
136 Posts
my riding buddy wrecked his 06 RR and bought a Kawi z1000 with the insurance money, He loves it however he changed out the foot pegs because he said the riding stance was not aggressive enough for him. after he got a better foot peg set he was keeping up with us and passing some of us. thats what I would get if I liked Kawis, but I dont ...not even just a little bit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the Kawi Z1000 looks like it might be a good choice, as is the Yamaha FZ1.
Honda needs to sell the CB1000 in the states.
Although I'm sure it's capable, the Z1000 looks too much like ass for me to consider it. Honda did actually sell the CB1000 in the states for a year or two, I saw one for sale last summer. Unless you're talking about the CB1000R, which also looks like ass. :bootyshak

·
Registered
33 Posts
As far as sporty touring bikes go, the FJR is one of the sportiest. Faster accelerating thn the 600rr with a little less top speed. Not my go to bike for the twisties but a great all around bike if you can have but one. The BMWK1300GT is excellent but $$. They are all tanks compared to the RR, however.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yamaha FZ1!

Went to the dealer today. There was one in the shop and it looks sexy! Kinda wish I would have looked at them before pulling the trigger. But I LOVE my 600rr!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I went through exactly what you're going through last year... I wanted something a little more practical with some storage... a touch more comfortable but still "sporty" something I could take the GF out on for more than 30 minutes etc.

I was looking at the F800ST and the VFR800, I was getting a F800ST until all 3 of the buyers I tried to buy from flaked out and I gave up trying to deal with retarded BMW owners. Ended up finding a kick ass deal on a VFR800A so I picked it up...

VFR is plenty powerful for 2 up riding... It doesn't feel laboured or anything out of the ordinary (I generally don't drive that aggressively 2up) but it doesn't pack anywhere close to the same kind of raw power and the exileration that the 600rr had above 10K.

The 600rr was my first bike and I never realized how awesome it was till it was gone. The VFR800A is a respectable bike but it's not even in the same league as the 600rr. In nearly every single aspect (aside from being able to carry more things) the 600rr beats the VFR800 in my book.

Power: 600rr by a large margin
Weight: VFR800 is a pig, one of my biggest peves with the bike
Ergos: I seriously can't tell that much of a difference
Seat comfort: VFR800 is much better
Passenger comfort VFR800 is much better
Fuel econ: 600rr is well ahead
Looks: VFR800 looks like ass
Insurance: I pay $500 extra a year for the VFR... Arg.
Heat: VFR800 seems to get much hotter than the 600rr, the rad fans are always turning on (way more frequently and for much longer durations than the 600rr)

I'm currently looking for a new-ish 600rr w/ ABS so that I can replace my VFR800 before the end of the year...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as sporty touring bikes go, the FJR is one of the sportiest. Faster accelerating thn the 600rr with a little less top speed. Not my go to bike for the twisties but a great all around bike if you can have but one. The BMWK1300GT is excellent but $$. They are all tanks compared to the RR, however.
I've never really looked into the FJR before but it looks impressive. It looks like it has perfect ergos and the numbers are impressive. Factory luggage is a big plus.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put 8,000 miles on an 07 FZ1. Great bike, but it has its flaws.

Lots more power down low than the 600rr. It pulls much harder. But the rr has a slightly faster top speed. But I don't think that really matters. The FZ1 would be much better for 2 Up.

However, I found the second generation (2006+) riding position to be awkwardly in between upright and forward. As I'm getting used to the RR riding position, I'm surprised that I can ride for almost as long as I did on the FZ1. The FZ1 seat is terrible. No two ways about it. I installed the Corbin and, while it was better, it still didn't work for me. Where the limiting factor for distance on the RR, for me, is low back ache due to the lower clip ons, the rr riding position is no more limiting than the atrocious FZ1 seat was.

I do miss the arm pulling torque of the FZ1. But I like the RR more.

The FZ1 could fill the niche you're looking for very well. But compared to the more refined Honda, here are the niggles I had with the FZ1:

1. The FZ1 is over 150 pounds heavier than the RR (if I recall correctly). Going from a Road King to an FZ1 was great. But going from an RR to an FZ1 might be disappointing.

2. It's buzzy. My throttle hand would go numb from the vibration.

3. Seat was pure torture. And for the love of God, stay away from the "gel comfort" seat. "Gel" and "Comfort" are terrible descriptions for that device.:spank:

4. Poor gas mileage compared to the RR. I got about 35 mpg on the Fizzy. I get about 41 to 45 mpg on the RR.

5. I say it has lots of power down low, but that's only compared to the 15,000 RPM redlining 600RR. The real power on an FZ1 is at high RPM. Cruising in 6th (I think it was a 6 speed) at 70 to 75 was out of the power band. If someone tried to merge into me, I still hand to downshift to jump away. 6th gear power started at about 100 mph. I dropped a tooth in the front.

6. My 2007 had a very snatchy throttle. The on/off throttle response was jerky. The www.yamahaFZ1oa.com webforum shows a lot of common problems with the FZ1. I was surprised to join the RR forum and see that there weren't 3 or 4 known problems with each year.

7. It handles well, but is not as sharp handling as the RR.

8. Pegs drag pretty early.

Despite all of that, that cobalt blue FZ1 showed me the light. It got me away from heavy cruisers and into the FJR.

I'm nostalgic for the Fizzy. Missing a lighter bike is why I got the RR to supplement the FJR and the KLR. But I like the RR more than the Fizzy.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
good luck "tearing up the twisties" on a blackbird

to me at least, it was a deceivingly heavy and bulky bike. I would use it as "sportier" goldwing haha
Definitely better for touring and going straight for longer periods of time. I could picture myself hitting some winding roads with one... but no "tearing up" involved. The big weight transfer = me not a fan.

Have you sat on one?
They're pretty big...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I sold my FJR to get the CBR600RR. I loved the bike. I would have kept it if I had the room in the garage. It's awesome on the highway, tons of power and despite the weight it handles pretty good. The front suspension is fully adjustable so you can tweak it and get it set up pretty good. The shaft drive is great, very easy to maintain and no issues with reliability like the BMW shaft drive. Because of the weight, it can eat tires up pretty quick. Mine would flat spot in the middle after about 3,000 miles. Fuel mileage is decent, high 30's to low 40's, depending on how you ride it. There are some smoking deals on used FJR's out there right now. Go to www.fjrforum.com and snoop around, it's one of the best forums out there. Tons of information about the bike. If you do look at them, look at the 2007's and up. 2006 had some engine issues and 2005's and below had some engine heat/rider comfort problems. I think it's one of the best bikes on the road. Only reason i got the CBR is because I wanted something smaller and lighter to commute with. I wasn't traveling enough or riding two up, so it was hard to justify having the FJR.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Poking around the FJR forum I'm finding alot of "Bike left me stranded" stories. Transmission problems, overheating, electrical issues galore. Not very comforting. There's alot to be said for Honda Reliability.

·
Registered
158 Posts
07's and up were good. I put 22,000 miles on mine and never a hiccup. There was an ignition switch recall that was done, that's what most of the electrical complaints were from. As long as the recall has been performed there isn't an issue. The overheating is the engine heat blowing back on the rider from the 05's and below. The tranny problems I'm aware of were from guys abusing the bike (one guy had nitrous and couldn't understand why he had problems). I'd buy one again in a heartbeat if I were to go back to traveling. The complainers on the forum will complain a lot, but they still have the bike. Besides the FJR, another good one to look at is the Kawasaki Concours C14. Some folks went from the FJR to the Kawi and they felt like the engine was a lot smoother and a little more powerful. Most of the sport touring bikes are good, you just have to find the one that fits you the best. The comfort is great. I could raise the windscreen on mine and run 80 MPH and the only thing I could hear would be the engine, no wind noise or buffeting. The storage on them is great. I'd fill the saddlebags and strap a large gear bag across the rear seat and on top of the saddlebags and take off. I could pack enough for about a ten day trip pretty easy.

Poking around the FJR forum I'm finding alot of "Bike left me stranded" stories. Transmission problems, overheating, electrical issues galore. Not very comforting. There's alot to be said for Honda Reliability.

·
Registered
881 Posts
id go for a 98-01 vfr or the 99+ blackbird.

both awesome bikes.

ive owned two vfrs, and ridden a fuel injected and carb'd blackbird.

id say vfr cause i love v4s, they kick ass. but if your gonna do alot of two up riding get the blackbird.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
honda CBR1100XX Super BlackBird Cornering

I'm not saying I'd ride it like that, but it certainly looks like the bike is capable. Using 2 lanes probably isn't a great idea though :)

Is embedded youtube broken?

listen, if someone wanted, they could drag knee on a goldwing too...

If he's OK with a bike that needs to get pushed around (almost like a 14, but not entirely) to ride like that then thats fine, but when I got on it, I simply did not even want to try it. Again, I'm only 5'6" so i wasnt feeling comfortable pushing it AT ALL.
I'd go vfr.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts