Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was wondering if anyone is running a race/track cbr without a fan. i am asking because i am not sure but i just found out i do not have a fan on my track bike.i am going to get one, but i was just wondering why would some one take the fan off. also what is the temperature the cbr runs on. thanks

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
The fan is really there to move air across the radiator when you've been sittin there idling for too long which is usually not an issue on a race bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
if your bike is running 153 degrees on the track then you need to put some tape across the radiator. Use enough tape to get it between 170-180, that is normal temp for max power. 153 is not warm enough. if its a track day bike then i wouldnt buy a fan i know alot of people dont run fans. If there is a delay you will have to turn it off so it doesnt overheat

·
Registered
986 Posts
i would highly recommond water wetter to keep it that cool without a fan, but im sure you already knew that/have it in your coolant.

·
Registered
799 Posts
All the prior posts list good reasons to take it off, there's one more : your bike will run cooler at speed without it. On a street bike it's a necessary trade off, not on a race bike. You'll get much more volume through it this way. Also, as someone stated earlier, it's one less thing to go through your radiator in a crash.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
proze said:
Holy crap, how can you be running at 153?! Are you riding in snow or something?!
no i am not running 153, when i started the bike i left on for 5 min. and it read 153 so i was wondering what is the normal temp for cbr. lol

·
Registered
921 Posts
On the HRC wiring loom for the RR there is no wiring for the fan so I took mine off. The fan might help cool a road bike sat in traffic but you wouldn't want to be riding flat out with it permanently on. I think when riding quickly air flows through the radiator faster than the fan could achive anyway.

Even with no fan my RR ran too hot on track for best with a standard engine (95 C, 203 F), now the motor has been tuned I'm putting a race radiator on it. If I have to use tape to get it up to temp that will be preferable to it turning the extra power into lots of heat.

·
Registered
921 Posts
While it will run without problems at 95C I think optimum temp is a lot lower, low to mid 80's is what I'm hoping for.

Whether this is achieveable now that my motor is tuned a bit is another question.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Depending on the year of your CBR, I'm currently running a sub radiator without fan.
http://www.rocketjockeyracing.com/Images/Gallery/2005/10_01/4.JPG
You can kinda see the edge of the bottom radiator in the pic.

As mentioned earlier, and according to Harc-Pro the optimum running temp is 80C or between 70C - 95C

Word...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice Ride rocketjockey!

I have a question for everybody,
what temperature does the engine start Warping at
from the Heat?

I can't remember what my temps were, but I think it hardly went over 170 farenheit,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts