Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for 5 years, and now I'm being required by the military to take the ERC..every 2 years. Because over the course of 2 years riding every day and doing track days...apparently you actually LOSE skill and need to do some parking lot training to build it up again.

In all seriousness though, has anyone taken it? Taken anything good away from it? Learned nothing? Waste of time?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yeah I took it when I got back from deployment in Feb. It was the basic rider course all over again except you use the "peanut" and get to do more cornering. No high speed cornering but more than the basic riders.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I took it in 02 to get my Alaska MI.

I thought it was good.It refreshes what you know but might not allways think about.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the peanut?

·
Registered
346 Posts
dozadj said:
Yeah I took it when I got back from deployment in Feb. It was the basic rider course all over again except you use the "peanut" and get to do more cornering. No high speed cornering but more than the basic riders.
You use WHAT?!? lol, just kidding. Seriously though, what is the "peanut?"

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
usmcr6 said:
What's the peanut?
Just the paint on the pavement that you didn't use in the basice course. It's outlined in a mild S shape. Basically you ride in an oval with the exception of that one side which has a mild S shape. The focus on that excercise was to maintain speed through corners. Through the whole excercise they don't want you to get on the brakes. I guess basically teaching you to not get to hot into a corner. I dunno know but that was the most fun part of the course though since you could go as fast as you wanted as long as you didn't lowside or get on the brakes.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kneedragging in the ERC course here I come!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I took it in 2000. It's not as much of an advance course as it is a refresher course. On a positive note, it is only one day vs two of the beginner course.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
usmcr6 said:
kneedragging in the ERC course here I come!
I thnk you can do it, the instructors were telling their stories like they always do.... you know.... " in the last class we had blah,,,,blahh, blahhh..blahhhh....blah." Anyway supposidly they had some guy that was doing that same excercise dragging pegs and they warned him that he was going to fast and to slow down. The guy said he was good and was having too much fun. Well of course he ended up crashing. Anyway if you can do it have fun with it. Ain't nothing like getting paid to ride for a day.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have any problem with slow speed knee downs. Bike isn't goin anywhere.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
What? We have to go through this course every two years?

I took the ERC and was bored out of my mind. It was so easy and basic I felt it was a waste of my time.

Tell me more about this new rule? Is it a MCO or BO? Seriously though this is rediculous...is it waivable?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think its a base order....might even just be a squadron order...either way, i'm "3 years expired" on my MSF training....why not keep it goin :p

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just heard the same thing for the Air Force. I was told that all sport bike riders will take the advanced course every three years. Hell, maybe it's a DOD thing.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I took the first one to get my M and would recommend it to anyone. I had plans to take the second one and never did, I heard you use your own bike for that one.

Jason

·
Registered
638 Posts
That has to be a post or division SOP for where you are, or just for your department, are you in the Marines? for the Army I took the ERC a few months ago and they said that was all that I had to do here at Ft. Campbell. Its too easy though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dozadj said:
I thnk you can do it, the instructors were telling their stories like they always do.... you know.... " in the last class we had blah,,,,blahh, blahhh..blahhhh....blah." Anyway supposidly they had some guy that was doing that same excercise dragging pegs and they warned him that he was going to fast and to slow down. The guy said he was good and was having too much fun. Well of course he ended up crashing. Anyway if you can do it have fun with it. Ain't nothing like getting paid to ride for a day.
Yeah, I seriously doubt you could drag your knee if you wanted to with the bikes they provide (pegs always scrape first)

In the Central NJ course (i took it a while back i forget which school) the instructors don't even allow you to take a corner without your knees squeezing the tank. I was told numerous times this is a road course not a track course keep'em tight, so there would definitly be no knee dragging.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Visitor Q said:
I took the first one to get my M and would recommend it to anyone. I had plans to take the second one and never did, I heard you use your own bike for that one.

Jason
I used my own bike for both.

101stABN said:
That has to be a post or division SOP for where you are, or just for your department, are you in the Marines? for the Army I took the ERC a few months ago and they said that was all that I had to do here at Ft. Campbell. Its too easy though.
I believe it is DOD policy. I know for sure it is a Marine Corps order.

muvon2000 said:
Yeah, I seriously doubt you could drag your knee if you wanted to with the bikes they provide (pegs always scrape first)

In the Central NJ course (i took it a while back i forget which school) the instructors don't even allow you to take a corner without your knees squeezing the tank. I was told numerous times this is a road course not a track course keep'em tight, so there would definitly be no knee dragging.
You use your own bike, but your right, they won't want you draggin knee out there since they are trying to teach proper and legal street riding. Instructors told us that there is no need for your knees to leave the tank. A LEO can ticket you for exhibition of speed if they see you pulling your knees off the tank while going through turns. ( not sure on how true that is ) since I don't have leather pants though I really don't have a need to throw my knees out while going through turns anyway, I don't want to try and drag my knee caps anyway.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sounds like a waste of time and money to take unless your forced to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts