Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a Chatterbox (me and a friend) for this riding season. Was wondering how you like yours if you own one? What model? Was looking at the GMRS X1.

Thanks.
Jason

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Have a GMRS X1, love it.. couple of friends have em too.. great for chatting.. still working on getting my phone to work with it tho.. but it rox for listening to music..

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chkaotic said:
Have a GMRS X1, love it.. couple of friends have em too.. great for chatting.. still working on getting my phone to work with it tho.. but it rox for listening to music..
How is the raidus with it, is it as claimed? What about weight, can you tell when you have it on? Any other issues with it other than your cell?

Thanks.
Jason

ps. What did you pay for it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the GMRS X1 as well as a few of my friends. The range depends on the area you ride in. I would say that they might get the "5 mile" range in line of sight (say on the freeway) . But in the mountains when your group gets spread out we get about 1 1/2 mi. range (which is fine for us). The radio (mp3) works good but don't expect any bass out of the headphones (in my opinion). And it only works with a few types of cell phones so if you are wanting to use that feature you may want to look into that. as far as the weight it's not that noticeable. I bought mine from MRI (ridersinc.com) for about $260ish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have the gmrs x1 as well as a few friends of mine, we love it especially when you hook your mp3 player to it! I never ride without it!

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys have the stereo one?

Jason

·
Registered
165 Posts
Visitor Q said:
Do you guys have the stereo one?

Jason
I think all of the GMRS X1 chatterboxes are in stereo :lol2:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I have a frs and it's stereo. But I feel naked without my chatterbox. I mounted it on my bike now so it's not on my helmet. Doesn't hit my shoulder when I have my back protector on anymore.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mabbottusmc said:
I have a frs and it's stereo. But I feel naked without my chatterbox. I mounted it on my bike now so it's not on my helmet. Doesn't hit my shoulder when I have my back protector on anymore.
Did you mount in on the bike a certain way? Could you take a pic. of it, sounds like a great idea.

Thanks.
Jason

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Visitor Q said:
mabbottusmc said:
Did you mount in on the bike a certain way? Could you take a pic. of it, sounds like a great idea.

Thanks.
Jason
I would like to see a picture of it mounted on the bike.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I modified a ram mount I bought for my gps to fit in the place where I have it and made a bracket so I can use my gps and chatterbox. Both are out of the way and very easy to get to. I can also pop them on and off in under 5 seconds.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pix... Not bad, looks alittle bulky though with all that stuff. That is not the GRMS-X1 though is it?

Jason

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Visitor Q said:
chkaotic said:
How is the raidus with it, is it as claimed? What about weight, can you tell when you have it on? Any other issues with it other than your cell?

Thanks.
Jason

ps. What did you pay for it?
As stated above.. 5mi radius is really only found on line of sight.. but I live in Kansas, so the entire state is within line of sight (hehe).. We also throw some extra radio handsets to some friends so they can hollar at us from the cars..

My cell is a sony ericsson, and I'm already used to it being hard to find accessories.. thought I'd try to make my own cable for the chatterbox and so far it didnt work.. but Im still trying..

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chkaotic

Anything for Nextel phones?

Jason

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Visitor Q said:
chkaotic

Jason
From what I've read/heard.. Nokia is the way to go.. I bought a mono mike/earbud for my sony ericsson and spliced it into a mono 3/32 ministereo plug, but trying every lead I still could not get it to pick up.. I am going to re-try again after soldering them (maybe it wasnt getting a good connection) but my guess is that it has to do with the signaling type..

However, I havent tried Nextel.. im just stating that I heard it was primarily for nokia (they have a 3/32 ministereo input.. so might work for other phones with the same input directly on the phone)

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chkaotic said:
Visitor Q said:
chkaotic

Jason
From what I've read/heard.. Nokia is the way to go.. I bought a mono mike/earbud for my sony ericsson and spliced it into a mono 3/32 ministereo plug, but trying every lead I still could not get it to pick up.. I am going to re-try again after soldering them (maybe it wasnt getting a good connection) but my guess is that it has to do with the signaling type..

However, I havent tried Nextel.. im just stating that I heard it was primarily for nokia (they have a 3/32 ministereo input.. so might work for other phones with the same input directly on the phone)
Hmmm... Well that sucks. I don't see why they don't make other adapters, has this been out for sometime or is this a new feature?

Jason

·
Registered
165 Posts
Visitor Q said:
chkaotic

Jason

I've been told by a friend of mine that has a nextel phone that it doesn't work with the chatterboxes. Again this is word of mouth.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Frosty said:
Visitor Q said:
chkaotic

Jason

I've been told by a friend of mine that has a nextel phone that it doesn't work with the chatterboxes. Again this is word of mouth.
Well knowing my luck I am sure that is the deal. I don't see why they could not make something as that is def. a popular cell phone company. :???:

Jason

1 - 20 of 30 Posts