Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
are chatterboxes those big bulky things that attach to the side of the helmet?? how does it work?? are the speakers integrated with your helmet or does it have a line that goes underneath your helmet and into your ears??

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
RRacer said:
are chatterboxes those big bulky things that attach to the side of the helmet?? how does it work?? are the speakers integrated with your helmet or does it have a line that goes underneath your helmet and into your ears??
Answer all your own questions here:

http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use the MotoComm helmet headset with my motorola FRS/GMRS radios. Works well, keep radio in your pocket, and nothing attached to your helmet. It incorporates a push to talk switch on the handlebar. Plus it is alot cheaper than the Full systems. Good audio quality too. I got mine here: http://www.csonline.net/crawford/Helmet_Headsets/Default.htm

·
Registered
932 Posts
Used to have a chatterbox back in the day. I used to take my GF, at the time, on the back of the bike also. I found that life was simpler w/o the chatterbox :D .

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
there's a group of 12 of us that ride. we all have GRMS-X1's. love them. used to have FRS Multi's and X-2's. better range on the GRMS, and more channels with less traffic. i can't imagine riding without one.

the new speaker/microphones from chatterbox work a lot better now, so i've found that with the X1, i don't have to adjust the VOX at all, even speeds ranging from 0 - 100. much better clarity of sound as well.

nick has a great deal for the X1 groupbuy.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I have a frs multisport because it's all I can afford right now. Works great. Well the power switch broke and it only has sound in one ear but other then that. I got the switched fixed. I love it. If I had the money I would get the X1.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Love my x1 chatterbox. Great for group rides. Get the model that all your other buddies do. No point to get an x1 if everyone has an x2 or frs model. It seems like the frs has problems communicating with the x2 and x1 models. The analog to digital signal gets kinda fuzzy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the X1 and love it. I would love it if they would integrate a radar detector and mp3 player. You can hook up your mp3 player via aux input, but it would be nice to have all that integrated in one unit.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have had my GMRS X1 for like one ride and now I only have one working headphone. I wore it on the track and had a buddy of mine tell me on his hand held when the fast guys were coming up on me so I could get out of there way. other than the one head phone being broke it works great.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Chatterbox X1 is the way to go.

Almost all of the people that I ride with have one and is great for communicating. It's saved us from tickets on numerous occasions and also of possible road hazards for the rest of the crew.

And for a solo ride, I plug my MP3 player into it and breaks the monotony of the wind noise.

As for communication with others. When I was without my bike for 6 weeks, I was the support car on a lot of the rides. I had a motorola CB that worked on the same frequency and could communicate with the other riders. Also, as long as the frequencey you choose is within the same band, you should be able to communicate with everyone.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it the cheaper the chatterbox, the worse the clarity of communicating?
What are the bad points of the cheaper ones?

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
not sure about clarity, since i believe that all of them now use the noise-cancelling microphone/headphones. it's primarily the range and the number of channels. the more channels you have, the less traffic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts