Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if we have any body doing this sort of work here on the forum. Looking to get into it, so I'm trying to get some insight on how good/sh!tty it is.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just wondering if we have any body doing this sort of work here on the forum. Looking to get into it, so I'm trying to get some insight on how good/sh!tty it is.
With just an undergrad degree from a university and a GIS certificate from a training course you'll only ever be a technician. If you stay at it, after years you can manage a team of techs though. That's better than just a GIS certificate as you have knowledge about a field, ie: geography, fisheries, etc, but you won't be leading any research.
You need a graduate degree (geology and geotech are exceptions but then the program is only a small part of your job) and knowledge of the program to ever be anything more than a technician.
Basically someone who has the knowledge to conduct/lead whole research projects that require GIS, rather than someone with just knowledge of how to use the program will get you the farthest.

·
Registered
344 Posts
With just an undergrad degree from a university and a GIS certificate from a training course you'll only ever be a technician. If you stay at it, after years you can manage a team of techs though. That's better than just a GIS certificate as you have knowledge about a field, ie: geography, fisheries, etc, but you won't be leading any research.
You need a graduate degree (geology and geotech are exceptions but then the program is only a small part of your job) and knowledge of the program to ever be anything more than a technician.
Basically someone who has the knowledge to conduct/lead whole research projects that require GIS, rather than someone with just knowledge of how to use the program.
agreed - i have a few friends in the industry and have researched getting into it as well. if you just know the software it'll only take you so far, so learning different concepts (geology, geography, finance, computer science, etc.) will take you farther, but the certificate program will help. For instance i know system integration, web services, and programming - and if i pick up a GIS cert i can work as a GIS systems integrator and developer. I'm actually working toward this, but have fell back on what i know now - SAP systems integration.

there is a lot of demand with the NGO and affiliates if you're interested in gov't related work - just make sure you're able to obtain and maintain a security clearance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts