Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if its me or the bike ( someone said the shifter bolt might be to tight) but I'll descibe this the best I can.

When I come up to a stop and I dont down shift before I get there the shifter sometimes acts like its stuck. If Im going at a slow speed and still have not down shifted yet and decide to click the gears right before I come to a stop the shifter acts up. Its like it will stick in the down position and I cant click down gears anymore. At this point I have no option but to stop b/c Im going so slow. I can click up gears once Im stopped but tapping down does not seem to do anything. I'll roll the bike back and forth and then it will come out of it and click down.

Like I said this only happens when Im going at a slow speed and go to down shift. If Im going faster say 15 or over and hold in the clutch the gears click down w/ out an issue at all

Im just wondering if its something that Im doing or if its something w/ the bike.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
You need to let out on the clutch when you are down shifting, the drag allows the gears to change. If you are stopped do the same thing, let out till you feel the bike pull then pull it back in and downshift.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get what your saying, makes sense. I guess its just a change that I'll have to take in my riding habbit. Alot of the time Id come up to a stop and try and click all the gears down at once but I was not letting the clutch out for each shift. Thats where my prob was comming from I suppose. I'll chalk it up to live and learn, Ive only had the bike for a few months so this is all new to me but its been a blast so far.

·
Registered
507 Posts
motorcycle's do that if you try to just pull the clutch in and downshift three or four gears..motorcycle transmissions require power to downshift, so when you down shift through each gear you should let the clutch out everytime u downshift or it's gonna feel like it gets stuck and you can't downshift..when that happens just let the clutch out halfway and then it should let you downshift again, but again..these types of tranny's need engine power to downshift

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
YES . . more engine braking please . . . . btw, did a Harley rider teach you that method ?

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MotoMike25 said:
YES . . more engine braking please . . . . btw, did a Harley rider teach you that method ?

No Im just new at this.

Its not the same as the Mustang was. Going from 4 wheels pavment ripping supercharged 400 Hp to 2 wheels corner carving quickness is two diffrent worlds.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Happens on occasion. If I'm at a light and it seems "stuck" I just move the bike back a foot or two and it usually clicks in then. Or let out the clutch a bit and then move foward a little.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LonelyRR said:
Be safe out on the road
I always am. I may only have 1,800 miles riding experience and jumping on an RR may not be the first choice for alot of people but I wouldnt change a thing if I had the choice. The RR is so fun to ride.

·
Registered
972 Posts
in time it wil be second nature to downshift each gear AS you come to a stop. Kinda bad to wait to downshift once ur stopped because you will get caught at a red-green light and stall because ur in a high ass gear for ur speed.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
em2b96p said:
in time it wil be second nature to downshift each gear AS you come to a stop. Kinda bad to wait to downshift once ur stopped because you will get caught at a red-green light and stall because ur in a high ass gear for ur speed.
Happned yesterday thats why I made this post. Stupid ass Miller light truck went to make a left hand turn backing up the traffic behind him b/c he had on comming cars. My shifter seemed to get "stuck" b/c I tried to down shift to many gears at once when I was almost stoped. Ended up having to take off in 3ed on a busy road. Not fun.

·
Registered
507 Posts
if ur at a red light and it turns green and ur trying to kick the hell out of ur shifter trying to get it to go back into first cuz it seems stuck..let ur clutch half way out and it will slip right it..like i said before, motorcycle transmissions need engine power to downshift..so when u let the clutch halfway out..it engages slightly and it will slip right into first

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
yeh this is natural. like the guys said, let the clutch out a bit and blamo.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Do you have to use the clutch? Can't you just down-shift without pulling in the clutch..i think i read that somewhere. Would it be safe for the bike?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yup, thats why you always want to finish your shifting before coming to a dead stop.!!! Like guys before have said. Let the clutch out a little, when the bike starts to move forward pull it back in and you should be good to go.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Resqume
using the clutch to downshift is very important you can up shift without the clutch
i use my clutch both ways its a rider's prefrence iguess

·
Registered
856 Posts
moeman said:
Resqume
using the clutch to downshift is very important you can up shift without the clutch
i use my clutch both ways its a rider's prefrence iguess
Up shift without the clutch, seems like a free catapult to me :p.. Do people actually recommend that? If you were racing I sort of see the point, but street riding seems like more trouble..

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
i do not recommend it but it less wear and tear than downshifting
without a clutch

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was wondering the same thing? Although I use to race Dirt and I would only use the clutch to start off or just fethering the clutch to get into the power quicker. I have never had any tranny problems with the DB and my clutch is in great shape although I would change my oil about once a week while racing! So with the street bike it should not do any damage shifting up or down if letting off the gas while shifting and not using the clutch?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
ive never shifted without the clutch but i know people who do and it doesnt seem to give them a problem... not all the time just when really gettin it. but about the shifter "sticking" problem, mine does it too and my 400ex 4 wheeler would do the same thing. the tranny needs some drag to shift from the higher gears. thats why you gotta either engine brake or shift as you are slowing like others said. if you have to make a really fast stop and dont have time then just shift and let out on the clutch a little while stopped and you will feel it pop into place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts