Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my Apartment complex giving me grief about where I am parking my bike.

Let me give you a little bit of background first and then maybe you will understand.

Back in July of 03 I bought a Yellow RR. Had it parked near my apartment so that there weren't any problems with it being vandalized or stolen. I got a sticker on the windscreen one day saying I couldn't park it there, so I started parking it in the parking lot. About a month later it was stolen (imagine that) from the parking lot. When I approached the apartment complex all they said was "sorry".

It was recovered 4 days later after the guy totaled the bike in an accident one morning at 3am. Stolen on Saturday night recovered that following Wednesday.

I got my replacement bike in February 04. I was not about to park it in the parking lot again for fear that the same thing would happen. Now keep in mind also that the difference from the insurance "assessed value" and the "actual payoff" was $2,818. So I had to come up with that out of pocket to pay off the other loan.

So now it's parked locked to a tree which is 5-10 feet from the building, not in an area where people would be walking (not on a sidewalk, pathway to apartments, etc) and it is always covered so it's not an eye sore. Not to mention it's been parked there since Feb and they haven't said a word to me about it since until now.

I have lived here 4 or 5 years, always ontime with rent, never had a single complaint about noise or anything like that and no one around me has a problem with it being there at all.

Friday morning the Property Manager approached me and says "You can't park this there anymore, we're trying to clean up the look of the grounds". I explained the situation once again to her and again she just repeated herself "You can't park this there anymore". I told her pretty much that I wasn't going to park it anywhere else and that if the issue wants to be pressed then we can do it in a legal fashion.

I did try calling their corporate office to speak to someone higher than her, what I want is the following:

1) Permission to park it there.
2) Permission to park it there until the end of my lease is up with understanding/promise of no renewal.
3) Immediate release from my lease with no penalities, negative reporting with CRA's.

I refuse to park it in the parking lot and that is the bottom line. Not to mention the mods that I have put on the bike add to the total out of pocket that I will lose if the bike were to get stolen again.

Do I have any recourse or is it pretty much whatever they say goes? Is there anything I can say or do about the situation?

Any thoughts would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Were you given all rules and regulations about parking when you moved into the apartment? Were you made aware of any possible changes in parking?

If the answers to these are "yes", you're pretty much screwed. If you weren't fully aware of the parking rules and regulations, then you may have a case against them.

L

·
0 Posts
park it in your damn apartment and just make sure they don't see you putting it in there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
seems like, appartments are just as much /month for a small 3 bed 2bath starter house with a garage. might be worth considering. dont know your situation.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I use to park mine in my apartment :mrgreen: , but the apartments we're in now have garages. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Your best bet is to find some where new to live.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
bennyboi said:
seems like, appartments are just as much /month for a small 3 bed 2bath starter house with a garage. might be worth considering. dont know your situation.
I second that! I used to lived in apartments for years man. Is cutting the grass and trimming the hedges worth being able to park your bike in YOUR GARAGE! :lol2: Hell yes! And I only pay a little more per month. F**K that stupid bitch! You've been there for that long and she just wants to bark orders at you like some dog! I would atleast find another apartment complex. Whoever you sign a lease with get them to agree to terms on where you want to park in writing.

Let me ask you this kudladar. Isn't it the complexes responsibility to provide adequate security? What does your lease agreement say?

PS I want to know how this turns out. That kind of arrogant stupidity just pisses me off! :cursin:

Tim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Put a tarp or rubber mat right inside the door of your apartment, and roll that b*tch right through the front door. My friend parks his bike inside his house, too... Too many people he knows have had their's stolen in broad daylight. I have a similar problem with my GF's apartment complex. She lives in one of those apartments where every other door leads right into a starecase and goes to an upstairs apartment. Well, the apartment under hers is vacant, and their door is right next to hers, and under the porch in her apartment. Well, the parkin' lot is kinda far from her door and apartment, and you know what I said when I got there on my bike the first time.... "Shee*t.... f*ck that..." haha

I rolled it up the handicapped ramp on one end of the parking lot, and rolled it all the way down the sidewalk to her apartment building, down the sidewalk to her apartment, and parked it on the sidewalk to the vacant place under us. Well, that lasted about 2-3 weeks, and one morning the maintenance guy knocks on her door and says "5 more minutes, and we're towin' it." I go and move the bike to the parking lot, and don't say a word. Well, needless to say, i don't ride to her apartment complex much anymore... I make her ass come get me. hahaha

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
As others said you really need to find your lease paperwork and look over it well to see what says about parking, security, etc.... It's all about the paperwork.

·
Registered
419 Posts
the sidewalk doesn't own the sidewalk if it is not inside of a gate that surrounds the whole complex which means their screwed but if it does have a gate surrounding it then your screwed. then if thats the case just move out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tell those f'ng people to take you to court and them slam the door in their face. Refuse to speak to them. Then while they are scratching their hineys, look for a new place to live or a friend's house or storage unit to park it.

We're moving from our rented duplex to a little house for the same price b/c our landlord doesn't want us to park our bikes in the tool shed anymore.

I finally had it with these darn apartment buildings. Rent a house w/ a garage or buy a fixer upper. You will find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
find another place to live. That's straight bullsh*t. I would move out and burn the office down with that biatch in it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dam that sucks, if youre on the lower level, i would have to say bring it in the inside.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Similar thing happened to me when I lived in SOuth Carolina. Unfortunately you probably can't do much about it. Technically, they are not responsible for what goes on in the parking lot.

I had my convertible top slashed open three times and the only thing they ever got were some CDs. I started parking my car in the the grass behind the building and they started to give me crap.(My top was still open so it was still vulnerable to theft) They threatened to call a tow truck. Bastards!

·
Registered
126 Posts
find another place to live. That's straight bullsh*t. I would move out and burn the office down with that biatch in it.
:beer: Yeah- that's exactly what I wanted to say! Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeh I knew about on the lease where it says "Motor vehicles are to be parked in designated parking areas". There's no question about it. I'm thinking along the same lines as TataAnn. I've already told the property manager that I wasn't going to park it in the parking lot and if she wanted to press the issue then we can get attorneys and handle it in that fashion.

Don't want to park it inside if I don't have to. I've pulled it inside to put on exhaust system, etc., but it doesn't leave me much room to live. I'm planning on buying a house in April anyway when the lease is up so it won't be an issue anymore.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only thing that matters here is your lease. If they have a clause in the lease about not parking motorcycles on the grounds then they've got you. If not then you should be able to use this to get out of your lease early. If they try to not let you out of your lease and tell you that you can't park there, take them to court or let them know that if they try and tow your bike you'll take them to court. It all hinges on what you signed on the lease.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not to be a downer...as I really am sorry for your predicament. However, is the bike on the grass? (You said it was chained to a tree). If so, the judge/arbitrator will make the point that the grass is obviously not a parking space, even if your lease says nothing about it. Even if it is not, they will just say that chaining a vehical to a tree is not "normal" parking. Just some food for thought... Hope you get everything worked out to your satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts