Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that kind of "seize"... In an interview with Pieor Soatti, Aprilia Product Development engineer, Motorcycle Daily reported the following excerpt from the interview:

TS: Tell me a little bit about how you test a new engine such as the SL750?

PS: One of the most important things that we do is the bench testing at the factory. Every new engine is run for 50,000 kilometres before being put into production. This is very important for reliability.

TS: Have you got any examples of changes you have had to make after this reliability bench test?

PS: Yes, many, but specific to the SL750 we had a problem with cooling the rear cylinder in the beginning. On the road tests this problem didn't really show up correctly. But when the engine was stressed at high revs for a long time in the bench we had some engine seizures. These seizures were caused by water not circulating properly at the back of the rear cylinder-Causing it to overheat. We solved the problem by introducing a direct water line to the rear cylinder.

50,000 kilometres is always our test as very few motorcycles actually do so many miles. But we once tried a Honda CBR1000RR engine on our bench and it never died! It was impossible to seize that engine under normal service circumstances. As an engineer I was impressed and I respect what the Japanese do.

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
nice! GO HONDA!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
i saw a video on youtube where some kids tried to blow a crx motor but couldnt. they drained the oil and put a brick on the accellerator. i think it eventualy ran out of gas but didnt blow the engine after 30 mins

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
How accurate is this statement? 50,000 kilometres is always our test as very few motorcycles actually do so many miles.

thats like 31k miles... not a lot, but i think fairly accurate, i dont know of too many bikes with that kind of mileage.
But im just one dude tho...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
i'm sure there are f2's and f3's with WELL over 30k miles on the odometers...without so much as a flinch from the engine.

Can't say it enough....i'm so glad i bought a Honda. :rocker:

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
i'm sure there are f2's and f3's with WELL over 30k miles on the odometers...without so much as a flinch from the engine.

Can't say it enough....i'm so glad i bought a Honda. :rocker:
They are the exception though, not the rule.

Honda cars and bikes, reliability babee.

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
doesn't surprise me one bit. Honda makes the most reliable bikes IMO. If any of you guys remember a few wsbk races back when james toseland high sided his 1000rr in the rain, he broke the case cover on the right side and crushed the radiator line to the engine and that bike still finished the race.

·
Registered
164 Posts
you beat me to it but Honda FTW!!

·
OG
19,115 Posts
doesn't surprise me one bit. Honda makes the most reliable bikes IMO. If any of you guys remember a few wsbk races back when james toseland high sided his 1000rr in the rain, he broke the case cover on the right side and crushed the radiator line to the engine and that bike still finished the race.

that was awesome, Honda is great!!!

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
My bike hit 270 yesterday in traffic, my fan wasnt spinning, i still rode it out of the tunnel to safety and shut it off, got the fan spinning and started right up and rode home like nothing happened.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 32,000 and change on my '01 RC51. Just turned 4373 on my '06 CBR600RR.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

I totally remember that race. Even the announcers were like, that engine has got to seize soon. and it never did. that was a great race.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts