Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around on ebay for the Corsair and came across this auction Item #130023975165 The guy says in his description that the RX7 is named Corsair in N.A. and RR4 in Japan...

So looked on the Arai website and came across this: ( For example, such advances and refinements have made our new RX-7 Corsair and Quantum-2 shapes able to fit more riders than their immediate predecessors, the RX-7 RR4 and Quantum/f.)

What do you guys think?..

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
it is quite possible that changes were made to the US versions of arai helmets for the US market. this could include material types used for internal and external absorbtion to meet more stringent safety standards... or could be nothing more than a marketing tactic for the US consumer.

both ways... i would still get the Corsair... just to be on the safe side.

cheers... nick - mri

Bmur600RR said:
I was looking around on ebay for the Corsair and came across this auction Item #130023975165 The guy says in his description that the RX7 is named Corsair in N.A. and RR4 in Japan...

So looked on the Arai website and came across this: ( For example, such advances and refinements have made our new RX-7 Corsair and Quantum-2 shapes able to fit more riders than their immediate predecessors, the RX-7 RR4 and Quantum/f.)

What do you guys think?..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ridersinc said:
it is quite possible that changes were made to the US versions of arai helmets for the US market. this could include material types used for internal and external absorbtion to meet more stringent safety standards... or could be nothing more than a marketing tactic for the US consumer.

both ways... i would still get the Corsair... just to be on the safe side.

cheers... nick - mri
Thanks for the quick reply... it just looked kind of suspicious that he would say that its the same but on the website it clearly says that the fit is different on the corsair than the RR4..

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
They are not the same bro selling tactics that's all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the guy emailed me back...

Hello Brandon,

How are you? Thank you for looking at my listing.
In North America, the rr4 is an older model than the Corsair, in
Japan, the rr4 is the name used for this helmet, not an older
model. Just like the Shoei X11 in Japan is called the X-Spirit in
UK.
Like Shoei, Arai Japan makes slight different helmet shells for 3
markets. I've been in the helmet business locally for many years
and have been working with my Japanese supplier for years,
we have found customers from Europe and North America can
still fit the helmet nicely based on their comments, I guess
everyone still fits a bit differently, the shell is a quick guide for
general public.
In the event of fitting not perfectly, removable liners could be
purchased and replaced locally with different sized ones to fine
tune it, however, I haven't heard my customers have to do so.
As you know, Arai helmet shells, size XS andd S is the same, M
and L is the same, XL uses the 3rd different sized shell, Arai use
liners (cheek pads and skull cap liner) to create into the size they
want for the market.

·
Registered
218 Posts
hey dood get the us spec model corsair... i bought a japan rapide sr or otherewise called the vipergt... and the internals suck... they're falling apart and they're thinner than the us spec versions... also the japanese does not have a DOT sticker it uses some other safety tag so u won't be able to do track

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah the guy that is selling the helmet is right. In the U.S., the top of the line Arai helmet is called the RX-7 Corsair. The older U.S. version is the RX-7 RR4. However, in Japan, the top of the line Arai RX-7 helmet is still called with the designation RR4, which is basically the same as the Corsair, without the DOT sticker.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have also read somewhere that there is a difference in fit. Arai builds helmets that they sell in Japan more to fit Japanese peoples head shapes which are different than the average american's head size. Just something to think about. Probably wont help you out a month later but maybe someone else is considering buying a helmet from out of the states.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes both are RX7 helmets. Corsair and RR4 are just different names they use in the US and Japan. Similar to cars sold in the US and cars sold in Japan. Different names but same car. however, there are small differences. japanese (or asian) have more round heads so the RR4 inner shape is designed for the japanese. If you compare the graphics between the corsair and RR4 they are the same. RR4 actually has some designs that aren't in the US for the corsair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts