Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cvlighthouse and someone else (maybe pantablo) offered some suggestions before, now I'm getting closer so I need some help.

I was quoted $23000 for a 1920 sq' pole barn with cement floor - PT lumber and aluminum siding. I think I can do it cheaper and better.

Here's what I'm looking for...
Want to build a freestanding workshop/garage. Should have the elevation/facade of a barn. Between 1500-1700 sq' - probably cinder block walls on a concrete floor. Considering doing all the work myself so no radical roof pitch please. One garage door (2 car size). One regular entrance door to a dedicated 400 sq' area. I need to have plans suitable for submission for permits.

Not looking for a architectual handout freebie here, just some suggestions. I'm in a hurricane zone so that might be relevant to the design. Not scared of doing most/all the labor myself (except the concrete floor) - figuring about 6-8 weeks for completion and would like to stay under $11K.

I'm ready for your feedback. :yawinkle:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Good luck with the permit process...we built one restraunt on BruceBDowns and it was a headache...hopefully your not in the city limits.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason will handle the roofing - one more task crossed off the list.

mental note to self - buy lots of beer. :partyman:

C

·
0 Posts
Well Kevin, I'd sat that trying to stay under 11g's will be tough. Building plans and engineering can get that high. I'm sure you'll want to do a simple building method. All our stuff is a little more complicated, but I'd be willing help you with a basic design and you could get it off to an engineer if needed.

I'll e-mail you some samples of an ICU building using Reward wall.. Have you figured how much your going to spend per sq. ft.? $100 sq. ft. = 1,100 sq. ft if your willing to spend $11,000.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Michelob Ultra....geeze dude, why even drink beer if you're going to drink that bland ****.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
exciting stuff. You need to do some serious research but I'd be happy to add whatever insight might be useful from the left coast.

Building costs per sq ft here are vastly different to there. Also considering that you'll be doing the work yourself.

Do some basic math first. If you're building a 1500 sf building then say, for the sake of discussion that its 30'x50'. you have 160 lineal feet of wall, by 9ft-4in high so thats 1440 square ft of cinder block you need (not accounting for any overage you might need to cover broken blocks, etc.) that amounts to 47,656 actual block units. here a single concrete block can run about $0.65 so just the building materials for the wall itself will run you $30,000. Check what it will cost you for CMU nearby.

not knowing exactly the relationship of building costs from CA to FL I cant exactly comment except to say it would sound to me like you're fooling yourself.

One possibility is to check into prefab buildings:
http://www.gensteel.com/ is a good company as is ussteel.com (?). if their prices are beyond your budget you can be certain a custom built building may also be, even if you build it yourself.

I can give more info but thats what comes to mind first.

check with local contractors about what having a General Contractor build it for you, as a sq ft cost...

got any images of what you're looking for (the barn thing)?

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
6-8 weeks, haaa haa ha! Oh wait, your probably not as lazy as I am. They make Barn Style trusses that you just set up on the first floor walls, Concrete block would work well. In hurricane areas, I think all you have to do is strap each truss down with perforated galvanized 1" wide steel strap. My dad has a similar barn style, about the size your talking, If you want I could take some pics of it for you. The trusses have the second floor built right into them. It's a nice set up. PM me if you want the pics, I have to go up there tomorrow anyways.

Eric

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
On the Permit thingy, I just got a permit for a storage shed, cost me $25 bucks with no necessary plans submitted nor follow up inspections. Then the shed got carried away and turned into that toy box I posted up. Rural living is a bit different though I guess. F'ing paperwork.

I'll get those pics anyways for you. It may be late tomorrow before I can post them up, or if you want, just in case, email me your email address in case the site server self destructs again.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pantablo, not sure we're talking about the same blocks, 8x8x16 building cinder blocks - double check me and see where my math has gone wrong...
in your example of 30x50 that would be 1920 linear inches per coarse of cinder block - 30'(2)+50'(2)=160'(12")=1920". The blocks are 16" long so that's 120 blocks per coarse. 1920"/16"=120 blocks. The blocks are 8" tall so a 10' high wall needs 15 coarses. 120(15)=1800 blocks, even at Lowes the blocks are $1.28 per block so that's $2304 in cinder block.

Sure there's masonry concrete and rebar to consider but we're still nowhere near 5 digits.

I figure the poured cement floor should run about $2.80 per sq'. At 1500sq' that's $4200 for the floor plus $2304 for the walls = $6504. A little more than halfway to the budget.

Haven't priced pre-engineered trusses yet but I figure 26 of them is 780lf at 24"on center is about right - might be better to have them made for me, might be better to make them myself, not sure yet. Sheathing, paper and shingles (if that's the way I go) so I still have to price the roof. Mich Ultra? DONE!

So at that point I'd still need doors, insulation, interior & exterior finishing, electrical, plumbing - I still think I'm in the $11K ballpark but I've been wrong before. :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Its cheaper to have the truss made for you. and they have to go 16" OC if your putting on a plywood deck and shingles.

If you go metal, you can go 24" but you will use 2X4's for perlings.

We built our Wendy's restraunts out of block down there..its def the building material to go with.

Residental may be different, but we had to put #4 rod down thru the wall every 2' then the whole wall was filled with concrete.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
pantablo, not sure we're talking about the same blocks, 8x8x16 building cinder blocks - double check me and see where my math has gone wrong...
in your example of 30x50 that would be 1920 linear inches per coarse of cinder block - 30'(2)+50'(2)=160'(12")=1920". The blocks are 16" long so that's 120 blocks per coarse. 1920"/16"=120 blocks. The blocks are 8" tall so a 10' high wall needs 15 coarses. 120(15)=1800 blocks, even at Lowes the blocks are $1.28 per block so that's $2304 in cinder block.
we're talking the same blocks.

A30ft = 22.5 blocks per course x2 walls = 45 blocks
50ft = 37.5 blocks per course x2 walls = 75 blocks
45+75=120 blocks (one course for perimeter of building)
10ft high wall = 15 courses
15x120=1800 blocks

huh. apparently math was not my major...you see, this is what happens when you combine sleep deprivation with trying to quickly do math in your head...

my bad. sorry.

Also, jason's right. You will have to do #4 rebar vertically about 48" spacing and #4 horizontally every 24". solid grouting is what its called to fill all the cells with concrete, which you will likely have to do. extra rebar needed for headers over openings also.

if you're building it yourself you might make your budget but if you were contracting it out, and you were in CA there'd be no way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts