Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mythbusters did an episode on the efficiency of bikes vs cars in terms of pollution. They tested 3 cars and 3 bikes from the 80s, 90s, and 00s. Eventually they ended up making their own fairing for a bike to determine if they could reduce the drag on it which in turn (they figured) would produce better results... This is the last 10 mins of the episode but skip to 3:45 for the final results. Quite interesting I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ooGe-TVIx9M#!

(Sorry, dont know why its not embedding properly)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
watched that episode last week. it is very interesting. I wish they could explain why a little though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
yep mythbusters proved what i thought... cars are more clean and green than bikes...

bikes are tuned for performance rather than eco ...also because cars have much bigger
displacement motor their smog requirements are insanely thorough

·
Registered
91 Posts
and you have to factor in the fact that only 1 or 2 people ride the bike at a time . Now if we were all kneedraggin on some vespa's.... then we'd have like 90mpg for 1 or 2 people combined...

hahahahaha

·
Registered
91 Posts
i was going to add that little detail but forgot. and i was actually going to reference india which is still part of asia but got lazy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Watched that episode also. It makes sense that companies arent spending as much money making them "greener" since there is no governmental push for it. They are more efficient simply because they are lighter. Oh and Kari Byron is smoking hot!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I think what they failed to show is that how much energy goes into making a car vs a bike.

If you want to talk about being green and eco, you have to start from the day 1 when the car/bike is being made, to the day that the car/bike is disposed of and not being used for anymore.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think what they failed to show is that how much energy goes into making a car vs a bike.

If you want to talk about being green and eco, you have to start from the day 1 when the car/bike is being made, to the day that the car/bike is disposed of and not being used for anymore.
check this out
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/mythbusters/#mkcpgn=ytdsc1

in the aftershow part 1 seems someone asked about this and through research they found that it actually does take more energy to build bikes o_O

what i'd like to know is how a current model compares to cars. i believe that bikes have made a huge step in the eco direction within the past few years. wasn't it only recently that bikes started including cats in the exhaust system even?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts