Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is that time for a new vehicle. I've never owned any American made vehicles but I'm considering it. Heard all the other brands are ok but a lot of bad things about Fords. What do you think, are they unreliable vehicles?

·
Registered
21 Posts
personally, Im a Chevy guy myself, ive always hated Fords. Plus Ive seen my buddies dad go through 3 f250 turbo diesel motors, then they finally just said F**K it, and deemed it a lemon.... but on another note, ive seen a Ford go 200,000 miles +

·
Registered
228 Posts
we've always had fords and never had problems. our powerstroke right now has almost 200,000 with just glow plugs and injectors once. they gotta be doin' something right, the only one of the big three not to ask for bailout money yet.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
purchase with your head, buy Import.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Realisticly, they all break. I have been an automotive technician and customizer for over 10 years. I have worked on all kinds of cars. It is just a matter of what you wanna work on the most.

Buy a vehicle based on what your intentions for it are, what you expect to get out of it, can get a good deal on, and what you like.

Good luck with your purchase, hit me up if you have any questions on particualer models.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
They all have there good and bad. My 01 F250 has over 100,000 with only plugs and oil changes. Had a Ford Focus commuter with almost 200,000 only replaced the alternator

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm a Ford Master tech. This year is my 20th working for Ford. Anyone who tells you one brand is better than the other is full of sh!t. Bottom line is....they are ALL built using the lowest bidders. Techs at the Chev dealer and Honda dealer next to us are just as busy as us, if not busier....and it's not all maintenance.

I recently put 2 outer tie rods on my mother in-laws CRV. I wanted OEM stuff, so I had the Honda dealer send over the parts. I opened them up and guess what....TRW joints, same supplier as domestics. Import manufacturers may spec em higher, but they still shop for the cheapest OEM contract.

I'm not a "Ford Guy", but some vehicles impress me. In general, I have to say that the imports are twice as expensive to fix, more expensive to buy, but break only about a third as much....which in my mind ends up to cost the same money? So it's your choice....go with what excites you.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
^^^ What he said. Buy what ya want, just get a good one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I traded my chevy for a ford when I get a letter from chevy stating:

"a problem with valve clearances from the factory has been discovered to cause damage to your engine. Blah Blah Blah... Attached is a form for reimbursement if your engine fails please take it to a dealership and we will reimburse you for the cost of the work. This is not a recall and will not be repaired unless you have an issue."

Obviously paraphrased but still. A 2 year old truck with engine troubles and dealer that wants me to foot the bill and they'll reimburse me? No thanks

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
I traded my chevy for a ford when I get a letter from chevy stating:

"a problem with valve clearances from the factory has been discovered to cause damage to your engine. Blah Blah Blah... Attached is a form for reimbursement if your engine fails please take it to a dealership and we will reimburse you for the cost of the work. This is not a recall and will not be repaired unless you have an issue."

Obviously paraphrased but still. A 2 year old truck with engine troubles and dealer that wants me to foot the bill and they'll reimburse me? No thanks
i just had a problem with one of our work trucks... gm said it would cost 2500 and it wasnt covered by them at all...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I live near the GM Tonawanda Engine plant. Im sure there are great people there, not all the ones Ive met are over paid drunks. So junk engines doesnt surprise me.

Im even closer to one of their axle plants in Depew. They build differentials and spin it to check preload and if it does'nt pass the test they dont open it to see whats wrong, they scrap them...yep... Brand new diffs thrown in a train car for scrap. And it gets filled often I hear. Thats lean production for Ya.

I have to ask .... So just how passable are the the "good ones" ?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well im a born and raised chevy guy I work for Chevrolet.

but i won't lie ford has been increasing their quality in workmanship in the last 7 to 10 years and from all my first hand expeirences with them i think there just as good as any other car in their classes

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I think Ford's been good for longer than that. I have a 1987 Bronco II which is pretty tits I've been told with 76k original miles. Only problem I've had with it is the puny 8 inch clutch that I've replaced twice because I four wheel a lot and the clutch don't like it. Other than that it's typical maintenance and seals, belts ect. It has been a super dependable truck. I've put about $2k into it with mods and upgrades and it put's up with all of them.
List:
Rancho Full Suspension {No Lift :( }
All Synthetic Oils
Hankook Dynapro ATM's Nitrogen Filled (Gave it an inch of lift){Not Pictured}
Unique Soft 8 15x7 wheels.
4300k retrofit HID's w/ clear lens kit.
2 KC 6" Daylighter
Optima Battery with double wound alternator
Viper Full Alarm System w/ 2 way remote, proximity sensor and remote start.
Full MSD Ignition w/ Spitfire Spark Plugs
Kenwood Deck w/ 4 Infinities on dash and rears. Ipod interface with Bluetooth, JBL amp and Alpine Type E Sub
All Monster cables
134a A/C retrofit.
List keeps going but I won't. Here she is:

Old Tires BTW...

Well im a born and raised chevy guy I work for Chevrolet.

but i won't lie ford has been increasing their quality in workmanship in the last 7 to 10 years and from all my first hand expeirences with them i think there just as good as any other car in their classes

·
Registered
149 Posts
For cars I own a Ford product. Y2K Cat (2000 Mercury Cougar) It has about 110000 miles on it. So far Struts, Front brakes (Previous owner warped them). Normal work you know matience. Its all the same just a different badge on the front. On the flip side the g/f was looking at a 08 Saturn Astra. That thing was a pos. The engine vibrated more then a hardly motor. It had 64 miles and more rattles then anything that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
fords arent american made
neither is chevy
i know my explorer was made in mexico
my chevy was made in canada
the only american made vehicle i have ever owned is a toyota tundra

i dont remember which magazine it was just in but they just did a side impact test on all the trucks
ford was deemed the safest while chevy was considered the worst.
they all still failed by the testing standards

1 - 20 of 74 Posts