Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple times lately I've had to make a quick hard brake going >35mph. When I did, the brakes were choppy and rumbling like a grab-release-grab-release type feel. I was squeezing the brake event the whole time. Is this normal? Is this because I was going at a higher speed?
When I brake going <20mph, it is smooth with no issues.
Just wondering if I should get y bike checked out or it is normal?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get them checked. Not normal. For me, I had faded the oem brakes besides ebc hh pads on track, and that's exactly what they felt like. They were fine at slower speeds, but mid session they would do exactly what your experiencing. I would recommend changing the pads, bleeding brake fluid, and cleaning the pistons in the brake calipers. Very easy stuff to do yourself. I learned just by taking it apart and doing it

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
How old is your bike, how many miles? Could be you need new brake pads, brake fluid flush, a combo of both. I would also think about upgrading your front brakes to stainless steel braided lines, it's not that expensive of a mod, and definitely worth it.

To answer wicked intentions question, I don't the bike has ABS looking at their pictures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input! My bike does not have ABS. It's a 2009 with 5200 miles.
I rode my bike in to the local dealer and they did a quick external check. He said everything looked the way it should look: good brake fluid levels, the brake pads were at about 50%, good positive pressure on the levers, rotors in good shape. He recommended I get my front tire changed soon because it'd be getting to the wear marks.

He didn't have any other recommendations. He thought that maybe it was a tire-to-asphalt mismatch situation? Like skidding or something.

I left the dealer feeling a bit better and will look into a new front tire. Still have some reservations about what I felt during the near-miss hard brake situation.

Any useful brake mods besides braided lines?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your front tire might have skidded during hard braking.

It maybe that you need a new front tire. It may also be just tire pressure and/or front suspension settings. I ride on q2s on the street. I feel the bumps more at 34psi on the front tire, than when it is at 32psi.

Post up pictures of the front tire, and the pressure you're running for street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts