Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! Just joined this big family! :laugh:
So I am looking to get a used CBR600rr for almost one year, but after some extensive researches i always find a BIG gap between the dealership's asking price and the KBB suggested retail price for used bike.

For example, I found a 09 all stock CBR600RR w/ green color scheme and 15k miles in excellent/good condition in a local dealer for 7.4k while the KBB only values it at 6.1k (assuming excellent condition w/ 16k miles)!

That's a difference of 1300 USD right there! But whenever I brought up the KBB value when negotiating prices, the dealers just laughed at me and told me it means nothing.

Is it true or they just wanna rip people off?

Any input would be highly appreciated!
Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Buying from a dealer, from my experience has always been typically more expensive than buying private. Price will also fluctuate in countries which has summer and winter seasons - being in winter the prices will drop. Study the market well and you'll figure out what is a good price indication for your region.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
IMO not really a ripoff, maybe........depending on a bunch of factors.

Where, dealer, condition, (pristine/perfect?), etc.

Look around this forum , and you will get better ideas on price.

talk to Polishblood OTF, he's a hardarse on bargaining logic.......

PS got cash in hand?

$ talks + BS walks.....

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
You will always pay more at a dealership, end of story. KBB (and NADA as well) are great guides but but even though they take your zip code into consideration are very inaccurate when it comes to specific areas.

I've been told they use the DMV registration forms as ways to find out what things are selling for. As someone who's bought and sold many vehicles, the amount of money most people will put down the paid is nowhere near what they paid which skews the numbers.

The thing you get with a dealer vs. a private party deal is peace of mind the bike is in a rideable form. You also should get some sort of implied warranty even if it's sold as is, you'll also have a place to get things you need and a place that should then service the bike as you need it done.

The however to all that is you'll pay extra for it.

No matter what or where it is $7,400 is high for that bike since I can get a brand new 2013-2015's in the $8500-8999 region. Thing is, though, if that bike is 100% ready to go at that price (new tires, new battery, fresh oil, all filters and fluids and the 16k mile valve check done) you may be ahead financially from a $6,000 bike that needs the outlined work. Also if the mods you wanted to do are already done to it.

Those are your questions.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Yea dealers don't care about book values...and not just when it comes to bikes; I've been looking for an SUV lately and dealers were asking for 1.5-3x the book value.

I don't disagree with what the previous 2 replies, but I also believe that the market for used motorcycles has some significant differences compared to automobiles, some of which weber already identified.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed that too when i was shopping around for mine. Dealerships are way overpriced and some private individual sellers also think their bike is so much more than its worth.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I noticed that too when i was shopping around for mine. Dealerships are way overpriced and some private individual sellers also think their bike is so much more than its worth.
Value isn't something that's set in stone. I remember something from an econmics class called the diamond-water paradox; if you were in a desert for 3 days without food or water and you come across a dude with a gallon of water and a diamond the size of a gallon of water and you can have only one, which are you more likely to choose?

Now let's apply that to a used bike...

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
If there's a bike in really good condition both mechanically and cosmetically, with a lot of mods...mods you would pick yourself anyway, is it not reasonable to price it accordingly?

Say the asking price is 9k, which is roughly what a new bike can be bought for around this time of year, but the used bike has 5k in mods already on it and it's in excellent condition, would you really spend 14k instead of 9k?

·
Registered
803 Posts
As a side note: At a dealer, the gross profit on selling used is usually greater than selling new, from what I've learned.

Value isn't something that's set in stone. I remember something from an econmics class called the diamond-water paradox; if you were in a desert for 3 days without food or water and you come across a dude with a gallon of water and a diamond the size of a gallon of water and you can have only one, which are you more likely to choose?

Now let's apply that to a used bike...
I'd take that diamond and toss it to one of the greedy Arabian dudes to get me the **** out of this desert of yours, lol!

·
Registered
966 Posts
KBB means nothing. Its just a company assigning a value to vehicles, any of us can start and company and do the same thing. Amazing marketing is why KBB is such a thrown around thing. At our dealership we don't care about KBB. I had a 1yr old GT-R black edition that KBB said was worth $95k. It sat for 6 months priced at $85k and never got a single interested person before we sent it to auction, and thats just one example.

·
Registered
803 Posts
KBB means nothing. Its just a company assigning a value to vehicles, any of us can start and company and do the same thing. Amazing marketing is why KBB is such a thrown around thing. At our dealership we don't care about KBB. I had a 1yr old GT-R black edition that KBB said was worth $95k. It sat for 6 months priced at $85k and never got a single interested person before we sent it to auction, and thats just one example.
Must be because Nissan made available that $10k or $15k cash rebate on the surplus of remaining new GT-R's some time ago.

I know, I'm off-topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply! I am located in Southern California so there's not really that much of a "winter season". Never Snow, rarely rains, always sunny and warm... Although it does get cold recently due to El Nino. But still 45+ F or 7+ C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the tips! Ive got cash in hand and ready to buy. That particular dealer has pristine/excellent condition bikes IMO. I don't know if i am allowed to post their name here. Its a small dealership located in San Diego selling only used bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your input sir! I am looking to get a stock bike w/ minimal mods. I wanted to get that bike, which is all-ready to go(new tires/oil/filters, etc), with 7k OTD. I will keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always found KBB to be low, whether it be in the car or bike markets. NADA Guides is generally much more accurate and usually higher, but remember that dealerships will always mark up from the NADA value to make a profit. And if you ever try to do a trade-in they will generally give a mark down from the KBB value which is already lower than the NADA value. For example, I think NADA currently has a 15k mile '09 valued somewhere around $7000 last I checked. I got mine (also a green/black '09) for around 6k after getting new fluids, tires, battery, etc and it too had 15k miles on it. It was bone stock with the exception of a few electronic accessories the guy I bought it from had put on it (gear indicator, battery tender extension plug and 12V socket charger). But that was from a private seller and not a dealership, so around 7k OTD for one from a dealer makes sense. Since they laugh at you for the 6.1k KBB value, I'd see if they'd let it go for 6.5k-6.7k OTD to at least get the negotiation ball rolling. Hopefully they'll come down from their 7.4k at least a little and maybe you'll end up meeting around the 7k OTD goal. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts