Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Do you perform clutchless shifting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Always on the race bike, sometimes on the street bike (just up, not down) but its taking a toll on my clutch so i've cut down

·
Registered
735 Posts
I dont know how to yet

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
definately going up. clutch down.
i dont feel right not doing it, thats the way i learned since day one

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chkaotic said:
Always on the race bike, sometimes on the street bike (just up, not down) but its taking a toll on my clutch so i've cut down
. . .but you're clutchless while powershifting. If you're hurting anything, it would be your gearbox. Power shifting, if done correctly, won't harm your gearbox. Using your clutch hurts your clutch more. . .if that makes any sense to you.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I voted "sometimes", but I'll qualify that vote by saying that I'll shift up and down w/o using the lever when I need to or when I've got it wrung out climbing in speed. I won't go into clutch disengagment theory, but there are points at speed where pulling the lever quickly and simply timing your shift are, for all intentions and purposes, nearly identical.

·
Registered
812 Posts
CBRrr said:
. . .but you're clutchless while powershifting. If you're hurting anything, it would be your gearbox. Power shifting, if done correctly, won't harm your gearbox. Using your clutch hurts your clutch more. . .if that makes any sense to you.
How about:

"Using your clutch wears your clutch more..."

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
selector said:
How about:

"Using your clutch wears your clutch more..."
Yes selector. . .much better wording. I took chkaotic's "taking a toll" literally as "hurting" the clutch. ---Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
CBRrr said:
Oops I said clutch huh.. didnt mean that in that sense, it was just what came to mind.. since I started powershifting, I've had the bike slip into a false neutral in 4th-6th gear several times, so i attribute it to that.. didnt mean the clutch :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
CBRrr said:
Yes selector. . .much better wording. I took chkaotic's "taking a toll" literally as "hurting" the clutch. ---Thanks!!
Sounds like we all meant the same thing - just missunderstood one another. Ahhhh... the internet! Now LET'S RIDE!!!!! <revs the bike and pops the clutch for a big burn out - road warrior style!>

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's a good tool for when I'm doing sit down wheelies. Use the torque in first to get it up and then pop her in second so there's more rpms to play with.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
For normal street riding I use it occasionally. For high spirited riding I use it a lot. It's really not too pratical for low rpm shifting as it feels jerky if not done perfectly. But when I'm running the bike hard as hell it's very easy to upshift and much smoother and faster.

PS The GP shifting makes it even easier. Just slight pressure on the shifter and a blip of the throttle is all it takes.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I always upshift without the clutch on the track, however I always close the throttle momentarily as I upshift. Downshifting I always clutch.

·
The ULTIMATE 1 Upper
2,506 Posts
Preferably I powershift....w/ the exception of riding under slow speeds or low rpms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts