Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding bikes for quite some time now, (I had a 02 R6 but am currently looking for a 600rr) but have just recently started to think of the true dangers of riding. I know a lot of good riders have lost their lives (sometimes their fault other times no fault of their own)

Now, there are 2 ways of thinking when it comes to bikes 1) life's short and you never now when you're going to die so if you do die, do it doing something you love. 2) If you don't take wild chances and play it safe you'll live to fight another day. I'm a very cautious rider/driver which matters but if you happen to get in a wreck on a bike it's probably going to be bad versus being in a car.

Sorry about rambling, but do you ever think of the danger of riding i.e. being paralyzed, death, loss of limb?? How do you justify it to yourself, families etc.. I guess I just want someone to put my mind at some ease?? Thanks

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
It was always in the back of my mind since I first got a bike, but since having crashed twice now (the second crash ending my bikes life) all the dangers really started sinking in. I took a turn going about 15MPH and I lowsided. The bike smashed into the curb and totaled it. If I have decided to take that turn a little more agressive/faster it could have been my head that smacked into the curb.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I could die in Iraq. I could die falling down stairs. I could die in my sleep. Why not riding?

C

·
0 Posts
I could live in a padded room my whole life and play it safe, but how fun would that be?

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
I don't ever think i'm gonna die on my bike.....If I start thinking of all the dangers of riding I would have to quit riding......

I found myself not to long ago going through what your going through. Wondering if it's fair to my kids and wife that I ride ,and I could leave them alone with no dad or husband due to some fuktart on the road.
It got to the point that I had to sit down and have a talk with the voices in my head and straighten them out.
My wife and daughters all know that besides them, riding is the only thing that keeps me happy. I think it might be in the back of my wifes head but she never ever has asked me to quit riding. I would think that deep down she probably gets a little nervous everytime I hop on the bike(especially the RR) but she knows that riding has been part of me.
You just have to hop on the bike and ride and use your head and be as careful as you can, Everything else is out of your control.

I enjoy riding to much to quit. You need to stop thinking of what "could" happen because thats whats talking you out of it!
RIDE AND ENJOY! when you go...you go...you can get killed just as easy in a car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dr.Spank said:
I don't ever think i'm gonna die on my bike.....If I start thinking of all the dangers of riding I would have to quit riding......

I found myself not to long ago going through what your going through. Wondering if it's fair to my kids and wife that I ride ,and I could leave them alone with no dad or husband due to some fuktart on the road.
It got to the point that I had to sit down and have a talk with the voices in my head and straighten them out.
My wife and daughters all know that besides them, riding is the only thing that keeps me happy. I think it might be in the back of my wifes head but she never ever has asked me to quit riding. I would think that deep down she probably gets a little nervous everytime I hop on the bike(especially the RR) but she knows that riding has been part of me.
You just have to hop on the bike and ride and use your head and be as careful as you can, Everything else is out of your control.

I enjoy riding to much to quit. You need to stop thinking of what "could" happen because thats whats talking you out of it!
RIDE AND ENJOY! when you go...you go...you can get killed just as easy in a car.
Exactly what I needed to hear!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
me too dude it's too much fun to give up, i have learned to ride a motorcycle before i learned how to drive, i had my near death experiences on a motorcycle but that hasn't stopped me from getting back on & riding, life's too short to worry about death so i try to enjoy every ride that i take be it racing with a cub or scooter & riding our beloved RR out of town with some friends.

if you succumb to the fear of death it's much worse than death itself, live & ride, RR's for life.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
i never once decided NOT to hop on my bike only cuz i "could die this ride".

one night i almost did...on my 23rd birthday...some jerk ran me off and i was left unconscious, limp, broken, and internally bleeding.

2 heart surgeries, lung surgery, titanium plates, and almost 300 stitches later...i'm dying to get back on a bike.

it's your life while you're alive. live it.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
soonermagik said:
Exactly what I needed to hear!!!! Thanks
No problem...anything for a fellow Dolphins Fan.

One more thing to think about.... (and I been doing this for roughly 18 years)

There are days and or times ,that I want to go ride and for some unknown reason something inside of me tells me not to or I just get a really weird feeling inside of me. when that happens i WILL NOT get on the bike.
It's just something that I have been doing since I got my 1'st bike at 17 years old. I can't explain the feeling, but when it hits me I just don't ride it.

I'm 35 years old now so I think whatever it is , it seems to be working.

just a thought!

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
i agree with Dr. Spank, if the spidersense is tingling don't ride, someone out there must be looking out for you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For me it's like this. I take all the risks in one hand, take the enjoyment and desire to ride in the other. So long as the enjoyment side outweighs the self preservation side I will be on 2 wheels. Naturally, being a safe rider will greatly minimize your risk- but the only guarantee you have to not get hurt is to not get on at all.

Kinda like abstinence... and we all know how fun THAT is. muahaha...

LIVE, RIDE. SURVIVE, REPEAT.

·
Registered
192 Posts
"Do not walk carefuly through life only to arrive safely at death..."

The last thing I want is a serious accident on the bike.. If I got paralized I don't think it would have been worth it. If its' just a broken arm or something then whatever... I am a risk taker though, and I want to enjoy my life to the fullest. I dont want to stop myself just because my mom is scared for me or because there is an element of danger if it is a truely breath-taking and enjoyful experience. For some people it would be a bad idea to ride, and some not.. I think its one of the reasons our community bonds the way it does.

Peace
Shade-

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been known to think things thru way too much before and worry way more than I really need to. Be it riding a bike, riding a snowmobile, driving a car, going to work, just about anything that I do can be labled as dangerous in some way. Like the guy said about the padded room!!!....It's not worth it because in the end, you're gonna die anyway!!

Ya the bike can be dangerous, and it can kill me. But so can alot of other things that I do. And there's alot of things way beyond that that I have no control over me that can kill me too, but if I worry about all that I'll just go crazy!!!

Ride safe, Ride smart!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts