Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you willing to teach a total beginner girl (or guy) to ride bike? Do you also have patient to ride with her with her pace rather than your normal riding pattern?

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
indeed. teaching and what not is in my blood, im not called the re incarnate for nothing!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
i get kind of angry cuz im scared to teach him not that i cant is just scared he/she gonna hurt him self riding slow with him/her no problem all day if i have to :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
MSF teaches much better than I ever will. But I have and will ride with a beginner at their pace I have no problem with that. I rather slow down than see them get hurt trying to do something they arent comfortable doing yet.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
i kind of like riding with beginners. while riding id come next to him c is everything ok, follow him when we stop give him some pointers.. even better when its a she ;D

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nope. Not willing to do it. I'm patient for other things, but not teaching riding.
I am willing to give them the tools they need and the advice to get to the MSF or track though, so somebody else can teach them properly.

This post is so funny b/c I have a group of friends doing a newb day ride and my girlfriend recommended a separate fast group b/c she knew I wouldn't want to roll at a beginner pace.

I usually compare riding slow to jonzing for a cigarette or some other addiction. You know that impatient aggravated feeling you get...I get that when riding slow.

Hello...my name is Michael, and I'm an adrenaline addict.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Love helping new riders. We actually run a group out of San Diego called "Chaos Theory Bike Club" that is all about teaching new guys how to ride.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
obviously it all depends on the person you're willing to teach. are they a quick learner? do they need someone to show them first? are they slightly retarded? yes it all depends on the person you're teaching. I've given riders tips before, but never actually went out with a new rider and showed them how to ride. although I'd be willing to help out someone for sure. I think any new rider that asks for help, is probably headed in a good direction, WHY? because they want to learn and they want to ride. OR as opposed to some guy that doesn't know how to ride at all, buys a new bike to be cool and impress his friends, is bound to get hurt further up the road and not gain any progressive riding skills or experience. so I think if you're knowledgeable about riding and have experience of your own and someone wants help from you, help them out and lead them in a good direction.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
obviously it all depends on the person you're willing to teach. are they a quick learner? do they need someone to show them first? are they slightly retarded? yes it all depends on the person you're teaching. I've given riders tips before, but never actually went out with a new rider and showed them how to ride. although I'd be willing to help out someone for sure. I think any new rider that asks for help, is probably headed in a good direction, WHY? because they want to learn and they want to ride. OR as opposed to some guy that doesn't know how to ride at all, buys a new bike to be cool and impress his friends, is bound to get hurt further up the road and not gain any progressive riding skills or experience. so I think if you're knowledgeable about riding and have experience of your own and someone wants help from you, help them out and lead them in a good direction.
:+1:
Very well put.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a friend teach me when I first started on his F4I. He was patient as I kept cutting out trying to work the clutch. I would be glad to return the favor someday to anyone wanting to learn.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I had a friend teach me when I first started on his F4I. He was patient as I kept cutting out trying to work the clutch. I would be glad to return the favor someday to anyone wanting to learn.
Same here!!! A buddy taught me on his r6 and I'll gladly teach someone all that I've learned from riding.. Actually taught two peoples the "basics" on my bike (parking lot status).. Until they buy bikes for their own I'll teach them more

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Bahahahahahaha, I'm curious to know what your retard scale looks like.:crackup:

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a friend of mine give me a ride on his r6 a few years back, I was hooked and demanded he taught me, he showed me whats up, and I rode his bike around for a few weeks while he was deployed. Bought my own bike a few weeks after, he again rode with me. Suggested I take the msf, and I did. Been riding ever sinse. Now I have taught my brother in law, and my cousin, and they are starting to go the same route. I think its part of the brotherhood. We as riders, have an obligation to show interested people the ropes. Get them just as hooked as we are, and lead them in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
when it comes to teaching its fun, its a rewarding experience but
there was a kind here on a black CBR gutted pupe, all loud as hell. and he gets in to a sharp turn jerking the throttle, playing with the breaks, trying to forse the bike in to a lean. i thought he is going down right then and there. when we pulled over i came to him and just told him he is doing things wrong. plus no jacket, no gloves no nothing just what he had is a sock over his sneaker so it doesent get dirty. i told him what he is doing wrong and how to correct it cuz if he didnt he is going down with in a week.
so i think he got kind of mad and offended that i told him that he is wrong. being he is older than i am.

and a week later he pulls up to a stunter lot with skid marks on his bike and what did i say :D he went down low sided it.

and i taked to him again explaining how to correct him self.

so my question is do ppl offend or look at u weird when u correct them in riding and tell them they are doing something wrong

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't get offended. I know I don't know the technique. I am left sided brain, so I read books. watched dvd at first because I didn't have anybody to teach me. Even now, I think my timing on around the turn is not how it should be. And when I see other guys riding, I always watch when he shifts, how he leans etc. I am always asking questions to people who ride even harley what they do if I have difficulties.

I don't have too much ego when it comes to riding. I know my limit and i know I will never be going 100. Yes, I am a boring rider ....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure for other people, but for me, I needed more than MSF... like on the road training in uncontrolled environment. I learned the basic in MSF, but there is a lot more

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I highly recommend reading the book TOTAL CONTROL by lee parks. it goes over many things about riding for every skill level.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I highly recommend reading the book TOTAL CONTROL by lee parks. it goes over many things about riding for every skill level.
I actually did :) That was one of the books I read in the beginning. Someone here recommended that I should read. Thanks guys!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts