Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
The lack of investigation and objective questions is why I don't trust Fox News, amongst other reasons. They didn't consider the times of year, who was or wasn't wearing helmets or anything. Just registrations since the law passed. I hate today's media

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
American Bikers Aiming Toward Education cite Michigan State Police data comparing the first eight months of 2011, to the first half of 2012 and found that the number of fatalities dropped from 89 to 85, despite an increase in motorcycle registrations over the same period.
What a horrible comparison. 8 months of data with helmets in worse riding weather to 6 months in the summer. I bet they could really show a drop in fatalities if they compared of year to one month!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very true, I don't like media in general. It's more about enticing viewers than reporting and investigations and their credibility and integrity, to me, is compromised. Statistics are so easily manipulated that it doesn't really matter in this case anyway

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
It'd be interesting to see how much major head trauma was recorded in that time, too. It could be a lot higher and just that would render this supposedly "improved" fatality rate irrelevant. Why are stupid lobby groups allowed to exist and spread the word? Somebody should start a lobby group discrediting this kind of insanity.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What a horrible comparison. 8 months of data with helmets in worse riding weather to 6 months in the summer. I bet they could really show a drop in fatalities if they compared of year to one month!

Even worse is the fact that the death toll is so low. 89 to 85 deaths? Ever hear of the law of large numbers? What they should do instead is look at the 85 deaths and see how many werent wearing helmets.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Responding to the group’s claim, a AAA of Michigan spokeswoman told the Detroit News that it was based on “very preliminary data,” and that it is too early to reach any conclusions.
“We know by looking at data from every other state that has repealed its helmet law that fatalities and injuries went up,” the spokesperson said.

They should have stressed the points above and not have such a BS title "Fatalities drop after Michigan allows motorcycle riders to not wear helmets"

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just look at the pic of that guy in the news article though. Riding his Harley with his sunglasses, unzipped leather jacket, gelled hair...man he looks like a boss

·
Registered
33 Posts
If someone thinks it's a good idea to ride without a helmet, chances are humanity wouldn't miss them anyway. Go ahead and not wear your helmets whoever you are, as long as I'm still alive I couldn't care less - although you could spare a thought for the poor bastard who gets to see your forehead explode across the front of their car and then dream about it the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If someone thinks it's a good idea to ride without a helmet, chances are humanity wouldn't miss them anyway. Go ahead and not wear your helmets whoever you are, as long as I'm still alive I couldn't care less - although you could spare a thought for the poor bastard who gets to see your forehead explode across the front of their car and then dream about it the rest of their lives.
So just because someone chooses to not wear a helmet they do not have loved ones who would miss them??? You my friend are nothing but a simpleton.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts