Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 with akrapovic slip on exhaust. I took my bike to the shop for the install and now they're saying my headers won't connect to my mid pipe. Did anyone run into this issue?
Thank you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Sell the Akrapovic, and buy an Arrow can?

Or buy an Akra full system, as their slip ons are not compatible with their headers...........

Or go to a custom exhaust shop and ask?????'s

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Everything should work fine. I had the exact set up on my 08 with no issues at all. What isn't exactly lining up?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Arrow headers are made to fit oem.. so unless your shops stupid or they sent u the wromg ones.. just do it your self imo then you know..

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I had done there so it would be tuned afterwards.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I understand but there incompetent or you have the wrong part. Unless your slip on is wrong but if it mated fine with the oem headers/cat its not the problem.

I camt see what im typeing

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Headers can be tricky and frustrating parts to install. I've done a few myself. With Arrow headers the trick is to install back (silencer first) to front. Keep all the pipes loose and line them up correctly, then tighten everything down.

It can take a while to shimmy them around before it looks right, so I am sure this can be a timely/costly job for a shop to do. In all the years I've been selling Arrow we have never had a system not fit right, so I can only assume that the shop is getting frustrated and they gave up too soon and jumped to the conclusion that the parts are wrong.

Ethan, I pm'd you a diagram which I hope will help.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Geez how much is this shop gonna end up charging you for this? I think I would've (well I know I would've) just tackled this myself. And I'm far from a mechanic but I've done a few things myself with the help of YouTube and it's a great feeling.

And it's always good to get to know your bike a bit more. But yeah headers definitely seems like a pretty simple job. Just remove the lowers and assemble the headers (easily the hardest part, so I've heard) and pop em on already fully assembled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Ethan,

I've got the Arrow headers with Toce mid-pipe to Toce exhaust. That was exactly what I had when I was installing my headers. All I had to do was put #3 header behind and below #4 and allow everything to stay loose until I had everything set up and loosely fit. Once that was done, just took my time and slowly tightened everything up bit by bit from front to back and made sure that it kept aligned as I did so. It takes some extra time, but everything should fit. Most of the aftermarket items are set up to fit to stock so that you can run either cans or full systems without needing to replace all or nothing. Really surprised that a shop is having that much trouble getting it on. Of course, I've been an aircraft mechanic for 15 years and we're used to really odd fitting bits here and there. If you really want to save some money, try doing it yourself next time, you'll find that you'll learn a ton about your bike and the next time something goes wrong, you'll have a much better idea of what it may be. If your shop really can't get it to fit, then it may be signs of a more serious issue, like frame mis-alignment that offsets the mounting tab, or a bent mounting tab that needs to be adjusted.

Cheers,

E

Reactions: milehighgoot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Ethan,

I've got the Arrow headers with Toce mid-pipe to Toce exhaust. That was exactly what I had when I was installing my headers. All I had to do was put #3 header behind and below #4 and allow everything to stay loose until I had everything set up and loosely fit. Once that was done, just took my time and slowly tightened everything up bit by bit from front to back and made sure that it kept aligned as I did so. It takes some extra time, but everything should fit. Most of the aftermarket items are set up to fit to stock so that you can run either cans or full systems without needing to replace all or nothing. Really surprised that a shop is having that much trouble getting it on. Of course, I've been an aircraft mechanic for 15 years and we're used to really odd fitting bits here and there. If you really want to save some money, try doing it yourself next time, you'll find that you'll learn a ton about your bike and the next time something goes wrong, you'll have a much better idea of what it may be. If your shop really can't get it to fit, then it may be signs of a more serious issue, like frame mis-alignment that offsets the mounting tab, or a bent mounting tab that needs to be adjusted.

Cheers,

E

I have the same exhaust and mid pipe on my CBR and wanted to put the arrow header when I got home from Afghanistan. I bet that think screams as it already growls with the stock header. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts