Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any help would be appreciated. I have an 08 CBR600RR and I just installed my arrow headers and there is an exhaust leak at the mid pipe right where it links up to my akra slip on.

When I say exhaust leak, I mean there's condensation running down the pipe. No smoke or noise that I can see.

Have any of you ran into this before? Let me know if you have any suggestions.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When the bike is running, can you feel air escaping the junction? Are you using red RTV, or a pipe cinch?

A Pipe Cinch... I cannot feel any air escaping, it's just sweating..

Here's a pic of it. I know it's not lined up correctly in pic, I lined it up right and it still does it. The clamp cannot be moved down any more either cause then there will be a gap above it.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
That's just condensation I'm seeing, and not like glue or something right?

I mean, it makes sense to me that some condensation would leak back down and out of the slip joint if you were running the engine for such a short time that the exhaust gas didn't get up to temp and burn it away. Or are you saying it leaks after every ride?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's just condensation I'm seeing, and not like glue or something right?

I mean, it makes sense to me that some condensation would leak back down and out of the slip joint if you were running the engine for such a short time that the exhaust gas didn't get up to temp and burn it away. Or are you saying it leaks after every ride?
I haven't ridden it at all yet, bike is on the lift getting much done to it at this moment, I just noticed the leaking and thought it wasn't normal. I only started it up for a few minutes and saw it and turned it off and kept doing trials to see if it would stop doing it. I figured I was doing something wrong..

Maybe it's normal? Hmm..

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You might get a slightly better fit if you loosen the headers connection near the oil pan and press the pipes together there, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure doesn't look like water.

If it's lube, not to worry?
I'm just sort of surprised because the lube is rated for 800 degrees F. It starts dripping out almost instantly even when the pipe isn't hot to the touch.

I'm going to let the bike run when I get home for about 5 minutes and see if it stops.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I think it's just the lubricant, I bolted up the exhaust and I'm just going to run it for a while and if it keeps doing it then i'll address it with some high temp sealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts