Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opp. to get a K6 GSXR (little less mileage, stock) For less than a grand and was wondering if any of you out there had rode both and if I could get an honest opinion. I'm going to try and snag my friend's and ride it to see how it is. Man I love how they look! Don't hate me:sad11:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Do you race? Are you a top 10 racer with any Club racing org? If not, then I highly doubt your good enough for it to make a difference performance-wise anyways so just buy it if it looks cool buddy ;)

N

·
0 Posts
I've been hearing about a lot of problems with the valves giving out or something like that. Not street riders, but racers. Costing them a grip of money to fix.

EDIT - FOUND PICS

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hah, that seems rare on such a new bike, but I guess it is possible!

I wish someone would explain what 'grinding out' means technically..

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
The exhaust valve is the one broken in the picture. What probably happening is Suzuki is using cheaper or weaker material for their valves and once the exhaust valves get heated they start to stretch and compress, Which is normal for valves to do that. But because the weaker material when this happens the valves slowly become weaker and weaker, Then they break leaving a big chunk of metal to take care of your motor. Without seeing more pics I cant tell exactly what is happening, It could just be broken valve springs for all I know.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I rode pretty much all the top 4 brands sportbikes. The GSX-R is a very close second to my 600RR. If the price of the GSX-R is less and in better condition, i'd rather take that.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I have the opp. to get a K6 GSXR (little less mileage, stock) For less than a grand and was wondering if any of you out there had rode both and if I could get an honest opinion. I'm going to try and snag my friend's and ride it to see how it is. Man I love how they look! Don't hate me:sad11:
no hatin here, don't worry. what do u mean by "less than a grand"? my riding buddy rides an 06 red/black gixxer and we switch bikes every once in a while. here's what i think:

- the RR has more low end torque and smoother power delivery altho dyno's show that the gixxer has 4+ hp than the RR (105hp vs. 109hp)
- the seat height is lower on the gixxer and positions u more aggresively
- riding position is much more comfortable on the RR altho the seat is harder.
- gear indicator on the gix is useful but not a must; tranny and shifter seems smoother on the gixxer compared to the RR.
- there's more trunkspace on the gixxer!!
- suspension/cornering on the RR is WAY better than the gixxer due to the Unit Pro-link system. i feel much more confident cornering and leaning in my RR.
- tank is thinner between the legs in the gixxer but protrudes more on the top .
-quality is 10times better on Honda's period. i've never had any issues on mine.
- dash is nicer on the suzuki's. i like the white gauge faces and that illuminate red at night.
- another plus to the gixxer is that there is no need for flush mounts or fender eliminator.

some of these differences are trivial and it depends on rider preference. they're both excellent bikes. i got my bike for $8900 while my friend got her suzuki for $7400. if u can get a good deal on a zook, go for it!

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
Yea, but if these bike are breaking valves then you don't want nothing to do with that. Their is a reason why Honda has a higher resale value then most other bike makers. Suzuki makes a nice bikes and every thing but seeing this it would steer me in a different direction.

·
Registered
137 Posts
well, my friend has an 06 gixxer 600 and I've a 600rr.. last november we went to the desert to make a lot of tests.. i'm like 6'2 190lbs, he's like 5'6 170lbs.
his bike was completely stock and mine has a jardine slip on.

In all the tests starting at 40mph, 50, 60, 80 and 100, we pretty much go nose-nose... no difference at all. the only test that was significant different was when we decided to start at 50mph at 6th gear. I finished like 10 bikes ahead of him. all the tests were until 150mph.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
the only test that was significant different was when we decided to start at 50mph at 6th gear. I finished like 10 bikes ahead of him. all the tests were until 150mph.
good one. weird how that is knowing that suzuki "supposedly" has more hp.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
I've been hearing about a lot of problems with the valves giving out or something like that. Not street riders, but racers. Costing them a grip of money to fix.

EDIT - FOUND PICS

Maybe you should link to the thread these came from. More info is better.

The GSXR is a fine bike, fast and fun.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think what UFsurfer is saying is that he can trade his bike plus a little under a grand for the K6.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Until i see some real documentation on the breaking valve, i wouldnt place any of my buying decision on that. A broken valve could be cause from many circumstances. Most likely i could've been caused by over-revving by downshifting to a too low of a gear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ive rode a 05 gixxer 6 and a 05rr and the RR feels more stable in the corners, other than that they are close enough in performance to not matter. I think the lines of the RR are better. Don't know about the reliability, but to me that is a major factor. I don't want to go for a ride somewhere go in somewhere to eat and come out to have problems with my bike EVER!!!
My .02

·
Registered
564 Posts
suzuki, may hav it covered with the 1000cc range, but hinda have the 600cc well covered, not that ive ridden a 06, an 04 i had a good go of, yuck! just not put together as good, + the front end is minging

1 - 20 of 20 Posts