Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even though I feel like I know a good amount about oils (engine in this case) i was just reading a bunch of articles and it turns out that eveything is changing so much that you can't even be sure whats the best oil for your specific ride. Generally i use 20W50 for my Ninja 250, but articles all say that newer engines preffer slightly thinner oils because of tighter valve clearances, or overhead engines instead of the older pushrods. V-twins generallyy run hotter, while the 4 cyl cooler. However the new small 4 cyl high end engines req. a lot higher grade oil as the increased pressure and heat create sludge ( turbo cars mainly which I have too, Mazda Speed3).

All of this begs the question, for the CBR600RR, which grade and viscosity is best? Especially in a hot climate like mine where the coldest temp is 40F in the Winter, and 90-100 is common the summer. 10-40 or 20-50? Well who better to ask than the guys who made the bike, Honda! However, I dont know how to contact them, where can I e-mail them with my question?

And note, there is the viscosity rating, but then also QUALITY ratings, like SM given by API which shouldnt matter as thats for the phosphorus amount which affects the cat converters and valve trains. I would like to share the answer on forum if I get one from Honda themselves.

D

·
0 Posts
I can save you the trouble right now and let you know Honda will say to use Pro Honda GN4 10w-30.

1-866-784-1870, Monday-Friday. They're located in CA.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
D is correct, you will reach Honda's Customer Relations line and they will advise you based on the owners manual. The owners manual is general and provides direction for MOST climates and types of riding. For liability reasons, Honda will not deviate from the standard.

If your conditions are extreme or unique, you need to ascertain what requirements your bike needs above the norm.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
honda doesnt reccomened and oil out of the blue, they have a multi billion dollar R&D department to help make the choices of oils simple.

·
Registered
836 Posts
honda doesnt reccomened and oil out of the blue, they have a multi billion dollar R&D department to help make the choices of oils simple.
correction...not simple, they just give u no option! theres a difference. and im gonna venture to guess that they dont spend billions on R&D as far as oil selection is concerned!

D

·
0 Posts
correction...not simple, they just give u no option! theres a difference. and im gonna venture to guess that they dont spend billions on R&D as far as oil selection is concerned!
You're right, they don't. They have Castrol do it for them.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
you have every option in the world to use what you want

as long as your maintenance falls within their guidelines, they cannot do crap about warranty service or any thing such as that.

and if you don't think a holy crap ton of money is not spent engineering every thing around specific things like what oil weight to use, you evidently dont understand how r&d works.

yes, they pay oil mfgs to test their design against their products

and in turn the oil mfgs research their products to meet the customers demands

reach arounds if you will..

·
Registered
28,565 Posts

All of this begs the question, for the CBR600RR, which grade and viscosity is best? Especially in a hot climate like mine where the coldest temp is 40F in the Winter, and 90-100 is common the summer. 10-40 or 20-50?[/SIZE]

youre in the range of most of socal and norcal weather regions for winter and summer.
youd be fine running 5w40, 10w40 or 10w30 (for '07-'10 600RR's).
ive ran all, and had no issues with my '05 and '08 RR's.

as for what brands, thats all preference. my top oils are motul 300v 5w40/10w40, mobil1 mx4t/4T 10w40 or amsoil 10w30/10w40.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
you have every option in the world to use what you want

as long as your maintenance falls within their guidelines, they cannot do crap about warranty service or any thing such as that.

and if you don't think a holy crap ton of money is not spent engineering every thing around specific things like what oil weight to use, you evidently dont understand how r&d works.

yes, they pay oil mfgs to test their design against their products

and in turn the oil mfgs research their products to meet the customers demands

reach arounds if you will..
:+1: tru-dat! :drunk::crackup:

·
Registered
836 Posts
dont forget that all companies including honda, dont want theyre products to last forever! so their " billions in R&D" goes towards how to make the last until payments are up! thats why service points are so frequent and expensive! they count on people cutting corners and skipping service points! as im sure they spend billions, my point was that im sure billions arent geared specifically toward oil selection! thats all!

D

·
0 Posts
dont forget that all companies including honda, dont want theyre products to last forever! so their " billions in R&D" goes towards how to make the last until payments are up! thats why service points are so frequent and expensive! they count on people cutting corners and skipping service points! as im sure they spend billions, my point was that im sure billions arent geared specifically toward oil selection! thats all!
It's not Honda, or other companies that design their products to not last forever. Service points are so frequent because people are idiots and believe what they're told. Back when oils really didn't last long, people really did need to change their oils every 3 months/3,000 miles. Though now even with oils being able to last 5+ months in a car (unless you live in an area deemed to be an extreme climate), people still adhere to the three month thing. Dealerships will tell you three months for oil changes, or so and so for other service work, because techs and service writers only get paid by the work you have them do.

Honda's GN4 will easily last 6 months in an engine and have a Blackstone report come back pretty damn good, same with most other oils now. Hell, if people look at their owners manuals, most of the time they'll see that their service limit on oil changes is 7500 miles or more, yet they still listen to that little sticker on their windshield or idiots who say "gotta do it in 3000 miles".

·
Registered
79 Posts
I generally run Castrol 10w40 except during summer, then I run Castrol20w50. I live in So Cal and run a lot at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts