Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just want to know at how much RPM is the best time to shift gear. I have been riding for a month on my 08 CBR600 and still im looking for the best of performance of my bike.

Thanks,

Peter N.
PHILIPPINES

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
you shouldnt have to worry about ruining anything. just try avoiding bouncing off the rev limiter. for riding in town i shift around 5k, or depending on road/traffic situation. when you feel your bike stressing then knock it up a gear. on the twistys i usually go up to 8-10k

·
Registered
108 Posts
Our bikes were made to rev high, so shifting around 7k sounds good. You don't want to shift too low, it will bog the engine and not really healthy for our engine in the long run.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I usually keep it beteween 5-6K generally, that seems to be the sweet spot for the most part.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been trying to figure that out myself. I've been shooting for just before fuel cutoff, but I haven't trained my ear well enough to listen to the revs and time the shifts - I don't want to stare at the tach when I'm doing 150+ mph. So sometimes I'm a little early, sometimes I bounce off the fuel cutoff. I'm not even certain that's the proper shiftpoint, since I haven't gotten torque numbers off a dyno and run it through the gearing to calculate in-gear thrust for each gear.

D

·
0 Posts
I've been trying to figure that out myself. I've been shooting for just before fuel cutoff, but I haven't trained my ear well enough to listen to the revs and time the shifts - I don't want to stare at the tach when I'm doing 150+ mph. So sometimes I'm a little early, sometimes I bounce off the fuel cutoff. I'm not even certain that's the proper shiftpoint, since I haven't gotten torque numbers off a dyno and run it through the gearing to calculate in-gear thrust for each gear.
Fuel cut-off? I think you're on the wrong forum.

There is no proper place to shift. Just shift when ever you want. It wont hurt the bike.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
all I know is I never take my bike past 3rd gear...highway riding included LOL

·
Registered
454 Posts
You have to shift exactly at 7200 rpm every time or you'll blow out your muffler bearings. I don't even want to get into how much that'll cost to repair.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
You have to shift exactly at 7200 rpm every time or you'll blow out your muffler bearings. I don't even want to get into how much that'll cost to repair.
I tought it was 7450 to be exact. :dontknow: LOL

You can shift whenever you want to. just don't let the engine bog. More throttle = shift at higher rpm. Unlike some people I don't get the point of cruising around at high rpms with very little throttle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i take PCH ... HB to Newport.. i get there in 2 min. I just go thru the lights, no looking, no stopping.. no gear.. just shorts and flip flops.. been doing it for years.. :) haha

1 - 20 of 68 Posts