Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
#2 Office Monkey!!
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:Warning: This is some what of a vent/informative topic so bare with me...

I have had Allstate for over a year with full coverage on my bike. I was pleased to make the switch from State Farm because Allstate was quite a bit cheaper and my Agent is a super nice guy and he also rides.. I have never made a claim and I have a clean record, just for background information...

Seeing as how I only track my bike I made sure it was clear with my agent of what I was doing and HE SAID I WAS COVERED... as long as I was not doing the following, and I will quote the Allstate Policy guidelines here:

"arising out of the participation in any
prearranged, organized or spontaneous:
a) racing contest;
b) speed contest;
c) demolition contest;
d) stunt contest;
e) off road contest;
f) cycle performance, maneuvering, or
endurance contest; or
in practice or preparation for any contest
of this type"

NOTE the word CONTEST!

That is right out the the policy book. Now a couple weeks ago I was at the track and I went down in a lowside, the bike happened to catch the dirt when it slid off of the track and it proceeded to flip a few times. I weighed the idea of filing a claim versus not filing a claim and since it will be a few thousand in repairs I decided to file a claim. Went through the normal procedure by calling Allstate and telling them what happened and had an adjuster come look at the bike..

A few days later I get a call and they tell me that my claim has been turned down because of the following reasons:

1) The bike was outfitted with racing equipment
2) I was wearing a racing suit
3) I was clearly racing
4) I was preparing for a race

There are quite a few things that bother me here...

1) Yes, I did have race glass on the bike but that is not considered "racing equipment", it is cheaper and far easier to fix

2) You are going to penalize me for wearing a damn full leather suit?!?! Would you rather pay my 100,000 dollar hospital bill to have a full body skin graph??

3) It is not racing, it is not a timed event, there is not a reward handed out, I was not preparing for a race/contest..

4) I clearly explained to my agent, before I decided to purchase this insurance, what I was doing and he said I was covered.

I am fighting this tooth and nail and luckily some people that manage the track are trying to help me out on acquiring the proper paper work I need to prove that I wasn't racing ect.. But good god this is such a pain in the ass! I will keep updating as I get further news but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Allstate sucks major a$$ !!!

My wife is a para legal specializing in litigation & most
attorneys can't stand the sight of AllState. They will
make you file suit every time. Three years ago I had a
Allstate customer hit my truck & proceeded to flee the
scene of the accident. Allstate would not write me a
check for the damages until the Judge told them that
they better have me a check for my $700 some bucks
or they would regret coming back into his court room.
Trying being a Allstate customer being hit by another
Allstate customer. The victim will get treated like crap
even though they have Allstate. The majority of time
a attorney will file suit immediately cause they know they
will have to go court due to Allstate.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i have a friend who works for allstate. he says he hates it because they make him block peoples #'s and screen calls. these are people who he knows are filing a legit claim, but his boss tells him to ignore them..... bad business. would never use them.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
Brian you need to quit crashing :bootyshak.

Call them back up and tell them that your crash occurred during a skills enhancement similar to the MSF Experienced Rider Course. Also that your suit is a typical part of your riding attire and that you do not currently hold a racing license. If that doesn't work then you might want to consider taking them to court if the money is worth it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
damn! should be a requirement for any with Allstate to have a big ass sign that announces that...i would totally stay far away. haha

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
That's too bad you lowsided at a track. If the bike fell off the trailer as you were transporting it instead, it would be much easier.

·
#2 Office Monkey!!
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian you need to quit crashing :bootyshak.

Call them back up and tell them that your crash occurred during a skills enhancement similar to the MSF Experienced Rider Course. Also that your suit is a typical part of your riding attire and that you do not currently hold a racing license. If that doesn't work then you might want to consider taking them to court if the money is worth it.
Oh i told them all of that but they want proof that it is a course such as that... they need paper work and I dont have anything such as that. I also told them that I do not hold a race license either. But yeah, if I quit crashing that would help lol

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
Oh i told them all of that but they want proof that it is a course such as that... they need paper work and I dont have anything such as that. I also told them that I do not hold a race license either. But yeah, if I quit crashing that would help lol
Talk to the track day org and see what they can do for you, a little bit of work can save you a lot of headache.

·
#2 Office Monkey!!
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talk to the track day org and see what they can do for you, a little bit of work can save you a lot of headache.
Braincrater said:
I am fighting this tooth and nail and luckily some people that manage the track are trying to help me out on acquiring the proper paper work I need to prove that I wasn't racing ect..
:icon_lol:

·
I AM The Righty
2,380 Posts
+1
my friend (insured with allState) is currently in the same battle you: they say he was at a race, he says trackday.
he had the organizer of the event (STT) write up a letter summarizing the event as safety course that has control riders, etc. and that my friend was a student in the class that involves part classroom instruction and part onbike instruction...
I hope this works out for you since I hate to see insurance company taking advantage of us even more than they already do

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just goes to show, insurance is ********. Personally, I only carry liability (if my bike was pretty I might carry theft as well). Anything more and I'll fix it myself with the money I save by only having to pay like $120 a year in insurance.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Wellll.. I hate to be a devil's advocate, but it seems obvious to me, even if they missed a word or two, they don't want to insure a person driving a bike around a race track, under any circumstances. They came up with every word they could think of to cover it, but it appears you're trying to use a word for what you were doing that slips between the cracks.

You can hem-haw all you want, say you weren't really in a contest, blah blah, but if you go to a track even for "track day" the odds you will crash are pretty high. I'm sure a lot higher than an average day riding around, and the premiums you pay probably didn't account for that.

If you want coverage on the track you should be paying specifically for that, not purchasing a street policy and hoping it will cover you at the track.

Just trying to see the big picture here. I hate insurance companies with a passion, trust me, and Allstate sucks.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yea!! That sucks, agents don't know sh*t and every trust what they say because in the end they want people underneath them so they can make money....next time u ask a agent about something speculative, get it hand writen and signed by them. You can never go by his/her word.....

·
#2 Office Monkey!!
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wellll.. I hate to be a devil's advocate, but it seems obvious to me, even if they missed a word or two, they don't want to insure a person driving a bike around a race track, under any circumstances. They came up with every word they could think of to cover it, but it appears you're trying to use a word for what you were doing that slips between the cracks.

You can hem-haw all you want, say you weren't really in a contest, blah blah, but if you go to a track even for "track day" the odds you will crash are pretty high. I'm sure a lot higher than an average day riding around, and the premiums you pay probably didn't account for that.

If you want coverage on the track you should be paying specifically for that, not purchasing a street policy and hoping it will cover you at the track.

Just trying to see the big picture here. I hate insurance companies with a passion, trust me, and Allstate sucks.
Braincrater said:
Seeing as how I only track my bike I made sure it was clear with my agent of what I was doing and HE SAID I WAS COVERED...
Don't ignore the fact that I checked with my agent SEVERAL times before making the switch to be sure I was covered and I made sure he knew what I was doing. Every time I asked I was told I was covered so why should I have doubted him?

And if they don't want to insure a bike on a racing track then it needs to clearly say: "If vehicle is taken on a race track/closed racing course then all coverages will be void." Do you see that anywhere? I sure don't... And what word am I trying to use? I was not in a CONTEST or a RACE so it has nothing to do declining my coverages.

·
Registered
857 Posts
too bad. i have allstate now for 10 + years. one bike claim. one auto claim and one house claim. same agent took great care of me every time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts