Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've had my 03RR all this time now and i finally broke something on it!

Trans is still functional, problem only noticeable in first gear.

when excellerating in first gear aka pulling out from a stop and using mod throttle, it has a jerking motion as it slips as well. the sound it makes is identical to hitting the torque setting on a drill. 2nd gear or any others this does not happen in, although i have not tested it under full acceleration.

Bike is coming apart, engine is coming out. Any idea which parts this may be, i have trans blueprints that i'm looking at trying to figure it out?

Has anybody else had this problem, and if so.....?

Any tips for engine removal as this is my first time taking one out of the rr?

Anything that would be recommended i do while the engine is out?
(planning on inspecting the bearing and valve adjustment)

Anybody got an extra trans layn around?

thanks

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
your just gonna rip the engine out and trans without really know whats wrong.. you should do more test while the bike is still together to better determine what is really wrong

does it feel like its slipping? should try this in other gears under full acceleration. if this happens in all gears under heavy acceleration.. might just need a clutch

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
trans is pretty easy to see where gears r wearing, i'm just not sure if this is an issue with the main shaft the gear itself or possibly some of the bearings.

i am not gonna take a bike with a broken transmission out and "test" it wide open in every gear. Thats kinda silly to do on a motorcycle i think, but dont think i didn't think about it :)

i actually rode it home about 10 miles to safely experiment, and it seems normal in all other gears.

i've had some clutches go bad before and they never slipped like this, but i'm no expert. it slips quite violently

·
Registered
696 Posts
Im sure I know the answer to this question, but do you give first gear hell? If so you may have damage the teeth on the gears. I had an old Honda, 1980s model, that I constally burn the rear tire and dumped the clutch in first and it finally caught up to me and broke several teeth on the gears in 1st which caused it to shutter real bad and jump out of first under heavy accelleration.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea shadowman, i've given it hell for 5 years now, and i've had it geared down most of that time, and have shifted it wide open as well. that's what i think i've done but haven't heard of anybody else doing it to a RR. All the different parts are available to buy and not that expensive, so i hope i didn't break to much **** :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
yea shadowman, i've given it hell for 5 years now, and i've had it geared down most of that time, and have shifted it wide open as well. that's what i think i've done but haven't heard of anybody else doing it to a RR. All the different parts are available to buy and not that expensive, so i hope i didn't break to much **** :)

What ever you do dont wait to long to find and fix the problem, you dont want to make the problem worse than it already is. In my case my 80s model bike I just took of in second till I sold it!LOL. It wasnt worth the time to repair it much less the costs

·
Registered
130 Posts
RRDugas, By a Suzuki already you little Teletubby flamer. Better yet, a Busa! LOL

I suggest long smoky burnouts to fix said trans problem... I hear that works!! LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
sounds like a chipped tooth on one of the 1st gear gears. the slipping is most likely the clutch. when its appart, inspect and measure the fiber plates. also check the adjustment while its together.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The dogs of the first gear have rounded off, it'll only get worse over time. Only choice is to remove it and have the gears hard welded and undercut. Then you'd never have another problem.

Then, sell it and buy a Busa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts