Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a bit dramatic, but in my experience, what I personally witnessed last Friday night was just completely out of the ordinary. Worthy of the news.

I was out alone just riding around enjoying the evening, and merged onto a freeway. It was a city freeway, and speed limit 65. Traffic was light to moderate, moving about at posted speed, so me and a non-descript black Honda civic tucked into the left lane, doing about 74-75 mph, slowly moving past the traffic in the right two lanes.

Not rocketing down the highway by any means, but just right at the beginning of the ticket zone (10 mph over), but where I like to cruise because my engine smooths out greatly there.

About 3-4 miles up the freeway, I see a cop approaching behind at high speed in the center lane, just to my right. He was upon me before I could move over to let him pass on the left, but he BLEW PAST ME, and moved into the left lane just ahead of me, then stayed there for 30 seconds or so, no lights or siren on or anything.

I first thought he was responding to a call or something and was trying to get through traffic, but right about then he flipped on his lights, and PULLED OVER THE CIVIC that was doing the exact same speed I was!

You read that right, he had a choice of me on the sport bike, or a Honda Civic, and he picked the Civic! He actually drove past me to get to the Civic.

Now I have to tell you I can't count how many times I've been pulled over out of a crowd of cars, singled out as the only speeder because I'm on a sport bike, so to have a cop do the opposite, I was completely flabbergasted.

Here's to you, good Austin Cop! :icon_salu

So as to not ruin the good karma, I slowed to about 70, made a loop, and went back home.

Wow, what is the word coming to, where cops don't pick on us anymore! :five:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
did the civic have one of those cheesy muffler tips that makes it sound like a go-cart? maybe thats why, haha, glad he didnt get you!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
what i've heard from a few people around here is that because motorcycles are so much smaller than cars and trucks it's harder for them to actually prove that it was you that was speeding rather than the other vehicles around you. especially with radar, they're going to return the speed of the larger objects first. with laser they have to be very precise and generally that's not done by a moving vehicle.

·
Registered
260 Posts
having ran one of the radar detectors myself i can say very few of them will pick up a motorcycle, generally they will have to match your speed to know exactly what your going.

Also, he may have been looking for the civic for other reasons

·
Registered
805 Posts
I understand about the radar hitting the car in front of you and not being accurate for your smaller profile, but what about speed-trap style? will a stationary radar hit a lone bike on a mostly empty road? I'm guessing the answer is very much yes, if trained on the bike long enough to get a good reading, but it must be hard to pick one out of traffic

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Also, he may have been looking for the civic for other reasons
That's what I'm thinking, since he said the cop paced them before turning on the lights. He probably ran the plates and found some not so good things about that car...... Either way, good deal for you!!!!!!!! I make it a point to acknowledge cops when I'm riding, and I've noticed a few motorcycle cops drop the gun when they see me wave even though I'm going about 5-10mph over the limit.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
sometimes cops will also give you a break if you're all geared up compared to a rider who is not a.k.a squid. I was riding with one of my friends and I was in front of him but we were both going the same speed, roughly 10-15 mph over the speed limit. Before I know it, a cop pulls out and pulls us both over. He paid NO attention to me and instead gave my friend a ticket. I was FULLY geared up and he was wearing shorts and a tshirt.

Now Im not sure if it was coincidental or not but I wouldnt be surprised if cops went after the squids more than geared up riders.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I understand about the radar hitting the car in front of you and not being accurate for your smaller profile, but what about speed-trap style? will a stationary radar hit a lone bike on a mostly empty road? I'm guessing the answer is very much yes, if trained on the bike long enough to get a good reading, but it must be hard to pick one out of traffic
if theres a car anywhere around a bike the radar will most likely read the car (obviously a larger profile) but even if the bike is in the wide open/no one else around its hard to get a reading on a bike b/c theres not much flat surface area on the side of a bike to bounce the radar off of, not impossible (there are small flat parts) just takes longer to get a reading!

·
Registered
260 Posts
also found it impossible to take reading while on a semi sharp curve, just wouldn't do it. and at a certain cruiser speed the radar wouldn't track anything at all, really depends on the radar brand and electornics.

K

·
0 Posts
so long as it's JUST the bike, yes. toss something else in there and it gets all screwy. hand scoped laser is the only accurate way to nail a bike in traffic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
so if they do pull you over for speeding, would it be safe to assume they won't have your speed clocked on thier gun, so asking to see it might get you off or could seriously piss them off... hmmm....

K

·
0 Posts
anything can happen, but there's always asking about the traffic in court.

·
Registered
59 Posts
no doubt, there is always the slim chance the cop won't make the court date, or at least you might get a reduction in fine...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts