Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit torn on this one so I'll just leave it here for you guys to digest:

https://rideapart.com/articles/honda-files-emergency-automatic-braking-patent

Honda filed a patent for emergency braking on bikes. It's not an industry secret that the future of motoring is going to be autonomous so the intermediary state we're in now where a driver gives up a portion of control to the machine and software makes sense. But on a bike though? I do get that a good portion of the world uses bikes in the same capacity Americans use cars - a daily work horse and often don't see it as a luxury or recreation. But at the same time for the bike to start acting independently when chances are the rider's not paying attention or failed to notice something ahead seems to me a bit risky. Really curious to see where Honda goes with this tech and how it implements it so the bike doesn't try to throw the rider off on a whim.

As things are now, I can't wait for level 5 autonomous cars but would like to keep my bikes as dumb as possible so that when things go wrong, I'm the one responsible. Mainly because I use it for recreation and sport.

·
Registered
84 Posts
honestly , i wouldnt get a bike that has automatic breaking until its been out for a long while for 2 reasons. 1, i broke as heck so i wouldnt be able to afford it . 2 id be to nervous that it would malfunction and kill me . just my two cents though

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go by Tesla's statistics alone, at least the number of fatalities would decrease. At least in a car though people are held in pretty snug by the belts in hard braking, assuming they have them on. A rider's not strapped to the bike and that's where my concerns lay. To avoid an odd upset, the brakes would need to be applied gradually to give the rider some time to react and at least brace. This of course leads to earlier braking and the accident detection algorithms are going to be pretty hyper active I imagine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts