Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Have had my bike for a little over a week now. Previous owner told me I could get 200 miles a tank, which I was skeptical about. I got about 140 miles on one tank (it came down to the last blinking bar), so I was wondering if that is normal or not, or if the mods on the bike could somehow be affecting my MPG, which are leo-vince slip on and a k&n can am air filter, and thats about it performance wise.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Mines an all stock 07 and the most I've pushed it is 155 miles according to my odometer.
Before I filled it I looked in there with a flashlight and I'm glad I stopped.
I might add they were miles racked up in a not so easy riding trip.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'd never gotten better than say 35 mpg or so until the other day when I rode 200km, decided to top up and realized I'd only burned 10L of fuel according to the pump. That works out to about 47 mpg or 5L/100km in metric terms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is a typical figure for mixed riding...more "city" than highway. You still have a gallon left when the last bar starts to blink. On my stock '11 I get 40-45 mpg commuting with no highway

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I think 200 is doable IF you ride very conservatively without getting on the freeway/freeway speed. My typical commute is mostly freeway (60mph or higher, but closer to 80), and I consistently get around 150/tank.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks for the input guys. Makes me feel better with the MPG I'm getting then.
What is the typical shift range for a conservative ride or a normal/"typical" ride?

·
Registered
125 Posts
mine usually depends on how i have been riding but i usually always stop an fill up around 150miles just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
130 Posts
Most say to shift before 5k rpms, after 5k the 2nd set of injectors kick in.. Hope this helps ya out to be more conservative.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Commuting and fun riding I get about 120 miles and then I fill it up (usually puts between 3.75 and 4 gallons into it, depending on riding habits on that tank); between 28-32MPG.

When I rode Florida to Tennessee I was getting 47-51MPG, putting in a bit less than 4 gallons ever 180 or so miles.

I think riding habits and time stuck in traffic/stop and go has more of an impact on fuel consumption more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I think 200 is doable IF you ride very conservatively without getting on the freeway/freeway speed. My typical commute is mostly freeway (60mph or higher, but closer to 80), and I consistently get around 150/tank.

Funny you say that Best mpg I have got was on the freeway. During a 3 hour road trip I averaged 44.5 mpg and was doing about 75 with a couple short 100mph burst in there.

Around town I dont do to well maybe 34 to 36mpg but i drive around 5.5 to 6.5k most the time

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I should have emphasized "very conservatively" in bold. The reason I don't think it's better on the freeway is because the RPM is right around 5500 at 60 MPH in 6th gear. Anything faster and the RPM will keep rising. As pointed out, the second set of injector kicks in at around 5500, +/- a few RPM. More injector spraying, more fuel burning. If one was to chug around at city speed (30-45), accelerating slowly, shifting at around 4K, and cruising in 6th gear, I would imagine the MPG will be higher. This is all just an assumption on my part, no scientific evidence to back me up.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Most say to shift before 5k rpms, after 5k the 2nd set of injectors kick in.. Hope this helps ya out to be more conservative.
This is the advise I followed to try to improve my fuel economy and it seems to work... though it's hard to keep it under 5K but right on 5K or a little above is doable. I was doing 80 - 100 km/h for most of that tank with some highway riding and idle traffic thrown in.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Trying to improve fuel mileage on a sportbike, can you say oxymoron :crackup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I get about 140 miles before the last bar is lit. Never waited until it started blinking. Didnt know what the red square meant. That's on a 09 with a two brothers full exhaust. One way to save gas mileage is to hold the clutch in when ur going downhill in the city a d just let her coast. Do the same thing when u know ur gonna stop instead of engine breaking. Not gonna make a huge different but u will get about 10 - 20 miles extra per tank if u do that every time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
I get about 140 miles before the last bar is lit. Never waited until it started blinking. Didnt know what the red square meant. That's on a 09 with a two brothers full exhaust. One way to save gas mileage is to hold the clutch in when ur going downhill in the city a d just let her coast. Do the same thing when u know ur gonna stop instead of engine breaking. Not gonna make a huge different but u will get about 10 - 20 miles extra per tank if u do that every time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Holding in the clutch is worse than coasting in gear. When you hold in the clutch/coast in neutral you're using a little gas to keep the bike idling...you don't use any gas while coasting in gear.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Holding in the clutch is worse than coasting in gear. When you hold in the clutch/coast in neutral you're using a little gas to keep the bike idling...you don't use any gas while coasting in gear.
I didn't know that, that's good to know. Anyone else confirm this?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I agree with Tater S about the saving fuel with a SS being an oxymoron. I normally just ride how I feel with no regard to fuel economy. I just keep an eye on the distance my average tank can go just in case the fuel gauge goes on strike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts