Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 600rr I went to BP at a local airport and bought 5 gallons of aviation grade 101 fuel, my question is will this harm anything on the bike, eg
valve seats, cat's, oxygen sensors, im almost 95% sure it wont but i just want some more opinions.

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
You probably bought 100LL, it should be blue in color. I would stay away from it, to much lead. If you want to run higher octane find a place that sells http://www.rockettbrand.com/ you can get 100 octane that is unleaded.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
did you feel like you were flying?!?!?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Leaded fuel is not good for catalytic converters.

I'm not sure one tank would cause a problem, but I probably wouldn't do it a second time.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
so if you have a straight pipe with no cat, its ok to use leaded fuel?

K

·
0 Posts
no, the engine was designed to use unleaded fuel. Leaded fuels were initially designed to help soften the blow caused by Valves slamming into the head. with today's machining technology and manufacturing processes, it's now no longer necessary, and leaves nasty deposits in places you'd rather not have deposits. is a tank going to harm your engine? I donno, guess we'll find out... If the 101 number is the Octane number the fuel has, you're going to experience loss of power until you fill up again with 87. 101 is harder to burn than 87 in an engine designed to run 87. a 101 would be suitable for a car that runs with twin 18psi turbos with hot cams and high compression pistons.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Forget the octane rating - would you buy paraffin and put it in your bike? Thats what aviation fuel is - ultra-pure paraffin. It'll wash the oil off the bore - more wear and tear. 101 octane petrol is completely different to 101 octane aviation fuel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well my dad has been running the stuff in his race car with 11.75 CR for years and no problems, plus these bikes run better the higher the octane, yes they can run on 87 but the performance suffers if you dont believe me just run 87 for 2 weeks then full up with premium if you dont see a difference then you have a problem, plus with 12 to 1 CR going a little bit higher is cant hurt, i dam near at sea level and i know i can tell a diffence. and no the fuel looked like regular fuel absoultly NO blue tint. plus av gas is not parafin, it is oil that is more refined not just wax that is more refined, parafin is an unwanted byproduct of the reining,

K

·
0 Posts
well my dad has been running the stuff in his race car with 11.75 CR for years and no problems, plus these bikes run better the higher the octane, yes they can run on 87 but the performance suffers if you dont believe me just run 87 for 2 weeks then full up with premium if you dont see a difference then you have a problem, plus with 12 to 1 CR going a little bit higher is cant hurt, i dam near at sea level and i know i can tell a diffence. and no the fuel looked like regular fuel absoultly NO blue tint. plus av gas is not parafin, it is oil that is more refined not just wax that is more refined, parafin is an unwanted byproduct of the reining,
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG..... *pant wheeze*

Who's been feeding you this crap!?! seriously, you can't get any more incorrect than this post! except maybe the aircraft gasoline part... that''s outside my field of knowledge.

let me help:

12:1 CR isn't that high, The CBR600RR powerplant was designed to run 87 PON, i get better EMPG with 87 PON than 91 PON ANYDAY therefore more power is delivered to the ground, higher octane fuels CAN hurt by leaving unburned fuel deposits everywhere from your engine oil to your valve seats to your O2 sensor, Blue tinted exhaust fumes indicate MOTOR OIL consumption, and IF you're talking about JP8, that's just ultra refined kerocene and nothing more.

~FIN~

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well wtf do you call high CR 12 to 1 is the highest i have ever seen possible on pump gas, plus the bike just retards the timing to compensate for the low grade fuel and advances it for the higher stuff, yea sure higher can hurt stuff but not 100, definately 114 but thats designed for 15 to 1 and higher
getting close to a diesel there at 18 to1 and when i said blue tint, i wasnt talking about exhaust, if you knew anything about fuels you would know some grades of fuel have dye in them like 100LL jackass

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just get U4 race gas. It's made by VP and it ain't cheap, but if you're looking for a kick in the ass, that'll do it. It smells good when you burn it too!

Since when does more MPG translate to more power to the ground???

K

·
0 Posts
well wtf do you call high CR 12 to 1 is the highest i have ever seen possible on pump gas, plus the bike just retards the timing to compensate for the low grade fuel and advances it for the higher stuff, yea sure higher can hurt stuff but not 100, definately 114 but thats designed for 15 to 1 and higher
getting close to a diesel there at 18 to1 and when i said blue tint, i wasnt talking about exhaust, if you knew anything about fuels you would know some grades of fuel have dye in them like 100LL jackass
Dude, according to the engineers who built this motorcycle's powerplant at Honda R&D, they suggest a 91 RON, 87 PON, or an 85 MON Gasoline fuel, it's as simple as that. I know of no ECU that can determine the GRADE of fuel being injected into the cylinder, only if the fuel that went in last detonated prematurely. If you've got a dyno around, run a tank of 87 for power, then a tank of that super awesome 114. you'll see a drop in power, i guarantee.

Better fuel Economy means it takes less fuel per intake stroke to do the same amount of work. when more work is to be done, more fuel is required. if i can do the same amount of work with less fuel, that means i'm producing more energy with less fuel. if i were to match the fuel levels, i'd be making more. of course, all things being the same otherwise. understand?

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
Just get U4 race gas. It's made by VP and it ain't cheap, but if you're looking for a kick in the ass, that'll do it. It smells good when you burn it too!

Since when does more MPG translate to more power to the ground???
Just note: if you run u4 you will have to get the bike mapped because u4 will make the bike run leaner and mapping will correct this. +1 U4 does smell good all most makes the price tag go away.

·
Registered
401 Posts
AAAGHHh..

u4 is gone, no more, once the current stocks are gone its gon. U4.1 sa replacement and is not a drop in for u4 you will cook up the motor if you do.

further more any gains you get with out tuning he bike to the fuel are trivial.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You're just wasting your money dude buying that crap. Unless you've done any work onto your bike, your motor was designed to run on 87-91 octane fuel. Ask ANY engine builder about using higher octane fuel then recommended and they tell you the same thing. Instead of sitting on this forum and arguing your case that back in the day your awesome cousin Ray-Ray told you it made more power, take 2 minutes to search this subject on the net, I think you'll be suprised.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No more U4?!? Crap. That's all I run in my race bike! Can't wait to get it remapped with $50-60 worth of gas in the tank...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
we put 100 octane aviation unleaded in some cars and minivans when we run outta gas at the airport, and have had NO problems. Just make sure its 100 unleaded, its like running 92 with octane boost. Sometimes you run outta gas on the fuel light and just need a bit to get to a gas station, it runs smoothe too.

I just like the smell when you burn it, or just splash a gallon in the tank, if you have anything else, the octanes don't mix, but it still has that RACEGAS/Jetfuel smell

and higher octane=worse mileage, higher resistance to detonation

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
are any of you guys fuel engineers or engine designers....

just a question not an attack, not that a degree means ya know everything.... but there are many urban myths on the fuel question........

1 - 20 of 53 Posts