Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone I"m asking your advice but pretty much know the right answer. I just don't want to face it. I just got my bike out of winter storage today. Yes I'm a bit late. I had my reasons. I rode it to work from the dealer that was storing it. Parked it inside at work. My boss and a mate were looking the bike over admiring it since I haven't seen it since last Nov. My boss then goes "look at this". Dead center in the rear tire it looks like there is a nail in it. It's hard to tell. If it's a nail it's one of those tiny penny nails without much of a head and is deep enough to have no part of it sticking out. It's more than flush with the rubber it's actually a little countersunk. I got the bike out just in time for the long weekend. It should be the best weekend here in NYC all season. Sunny, not too hot, and everyone getting out of town. So here's the question. Would you ride? My dealer will be closed after tomorrow and there's no way for me to be able to take it there before they close. I would like to hope it's nothing and doesn't go deep. Maybe not even a nail. But if it is a nail (which I think it is) it's in good. I don't even want to try pulling it out to find out. If it then slowly goes flat I'm in a worse situation getting the bike to the shop to replace the tire. I guess the answer I'm feeling but not wanting to aknowledge is that I should let the bike sit where it is and wait till tuesday to go get it checked out. Damn! Well I hope y'all have a great weekend riding. Stay safe rack up a couple miles for me.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ask yourself " How much do I value my life?" Then decide on whether you would ride or not. If it were me.........I wouldn't even consider it not even for a second!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are you sure it's a nail? If you try to scratch it with a key, is it solid metal? If it's sunk in then I'm just thinking it might be the inner lining of the tire and maybe the rubber had a bubble in it, though I don't know how common that is. I probably still wouldn't ride even if that's the case, but I'm new so I tend to err on the side of being overcautious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i patch my rear tire and had no problem with it. been riding on it for about 2000 mile now. freeway, canyons, etc.. the only thing that the dealer told me was that i can't take it to track. Rancho Yamaha did an inside patch for $30.00 dollars..

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would try to get it fixed somewhere else other than your dealer. I'm sure that there is some dealership (or some type of tire place) somewhere nearby that will be open tomorrow and Saturday, they don't have to be a Honda dealership. :smile:

·
Registered
932 Posts
It's not worth taking the risk! What happens if you find yourself in an emergency situation? Even worse, what happens if something goes wrong and you think back to yourself "Was it really worth this just to try and get-in two days of riding?". Bikes can be replaced; you can't be. Play it smart and have it checked out before you move it! (I know it is a pain...but the same thing happened to me a month ago...I was glad I left it parked because it turned out to be a nail which had the head chopped off...it was a good 2.5 inches completely sunk!)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would definately get it fixed regardless, your life isn't worth it, nor is injury.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Even though It'll suck not riding this weekend that's not one of the chances I'd like to press. There's enough out there to be concerned about. Curiousity got the best of me. I located the spot on the tire again. I rolled the bike forward until that spot was on top. I then wet the tire to see if it bubbled. No leak. I got some very fine needle nose pliers and pulled the piece of metal out. It didn't come out straight. It seems it embedded itself in at an angle. It turned out to be just what I though it was. A tiny finishing nail. It actually wasn't the whole nail. it was only about 8-10mm and it went in backwards. The part I could see was actually the broken off end. I then did the water trick again to see if it bubbled. I was hoping that since this thing was so short and went in at an angle maybe it just dug into a millimeter or two of tread and I'd be ok. After a couple seconds a tiny air bubble popped in the water on the tire. A couple seconds another. Every 2-3 seconds another tiny little pop. Yep. Punctured. Maybe only a pinprick but leaking. It'll be fine to get it to the shop. Just sucks to miss the riding and fork out for a new tire.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Man I feel ya bro. I picked up a nail no bigger than the one you got on Wednesday. I hit some corners and the back end just didn't feel right. So I pulled off to check the pressure and it was at 12psi. Needless to say, $170.00 later, I'm ready for the weekend. The tire only had 1600 miles on it which is way more than some of the stories i've read on here in the past couple days, but it still sucks none the less.

·
Registered
327 Posts
yeh that is the worst feeling in the world, Brooklyn. I had a nail stuck in my tire just last week. My new tire came in and I had it installed at NYHONDA, cost me 40 dollars. :( And the tire was like 120 shipped from RonAyers.com. I got the M1 rear tire. The funny thing was I did ride it around when it had a puncture in it. It was a long story, but here is a gist of it. A rock made a slit in my tire, which I had no clue about until I took a turn and bammmm.. i was like why is my bike going really wide?? And I looked at the rear tire and there she was FLAT. So I had to wait for my g/f to come around with the car and i put my gear in the trunk and decided to push my bike home.! it was only 8 blocks from my house. But anyways. As i was pushing my friend came along and helped me push it to my house. I got some patches from R&S Staruss, and fill it up with some air at my house. And decided like a moron to go to the tire shop like 6 miles away!! BIGGEST MISTAKE!!!! About 1/3 of the way she was leaking bad!!!, I pulled in AutoZone and got another set of patches. Filled it up with air (50 cents), needless to say i had to this about like 5 to 6 times before I actually got the tire shop. It took 2 to 3 hrs to make 6 miles!! So you can just imagine my frustration. They plugged it for me.

Well anyways.. the story goes on and i got it pluugged again two times! And then I just took off the wheel and tire when my new tire came in and brought it to the dealers to get it changed.. Of cours eall this happened on a weekend!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
what kind of clamp? I did not clean **** off the tire, t hat was my problem. LoL. i was in a rush to get it plugged. And I don't think the patch would've worked too well either since the puncture was near the grooves of the thread.

·
Registered
218 Posts
got a piece of metal in my rear tire last year when the bike had about 300total miles on it.

:evil: :evil:

I just replaced the tire as a I didnt want to continually worry about riding on patched rubber

1 - 14 of 14 Posts