Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do u use? I have Alpinestars Motegi suit. I need both. But would be fine with back. I need something cheap! Thought of getting the icon Stryker vest but didn't know if that was over kill.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I just bought an a* smx bionic back and chest protector for $200. It's a fair investment in my opinion, and while I couldn't feel it under my suit and it fits fairly well (it kind of likes to ride up but isn't noticeable under the suit) I feel the chest protection could be a little better. The back protector is definitely protective (although it doesn't quite reach my tail bone, and the larger size felt way to big/awkward) however I think I would go with Knox in the future.

I'm 5'10 199 LBS, average sized torso I'd say. Ginormous legs ;).

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just bought an a* smx bionic back and chest protector for $200. It's a fair investment in my opinion, and while I couldn't feel it under my suit and it fits fairly well (it kind of likes to ride up but isn't noticeable under the suit) I feel the chest protection could be a little better. The back protector is definitely protective (although it doesn't quite reach my tail bone, and the larger size felt way to big/awkward) however I think I would go with Knox in the future.

I'm 5'10 199 LBS, average sized torso I'd say. Ginormous legs ;).

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

hmmmm, i tried to fit my a* track vest under my 2 piece orbiter, but my jacket wont zip up, noooo i am not fat... and its the correct size... so did you remove the jacket liner? i also took off the back protector off the vest and tried to fit in the insert liner insert but it wouldn't!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I highly recommend using both. I didn't give it much thought, until I watched the STG video of chest protectors and Brian Van saying that you could land on your chest, over a handlebar or footpeg (which OEM are fairily pointy).

I've got the Knox Chest & Back Protectors. Only thing better is the Forcefield back protectors in terms of dispersing energy. I'm also thinking of getting one of them air vests that go over your suit. It's around $400-$500.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just bought an a* smx bionic back and chest protector for $200............ I feel the chest protection could be a little better.
you shouldn't even call it a back and chest protector, its just the back! anyway, back protection seems still better than the a* insert

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I use the A* bionic air chest and back. Fits very well in my GP Plus and doesn't feel bulky.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use the A* bionic air chest and back. Fits very well in my GP Plus and doesn't feel bulky.
I have the GP Plus perforated with A* bionic air chest and back protector :thumbup:
The chest protectors make the jacket a bit tighter but I think the money is well spent.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
hmmmm, i tried to fit my a* track vest under my 2 piece orbiter, but my jacket wont zip up, noooo i am not fat... and its the correct size... so did you remove the jacket liner? i also took off the back protector off the vest and tried to fit in the insert liner insert but it wouldn't!

Actually my suit is way oversized since I've lost about 25 LBS but I could see it maybe being a problem. The problem could easily be corrected by simply pushing it down and then sucking in just to get it zipped up. If it's that tight, maybe you should invest in one size up for your suit. :/

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'm also thinking of getting one of them air vests that go over your suit. It's around $400-$500.

Someone on a R6 at the track had one and he was pitted next to me. The whole time I thought it was a camel pack thing for water. I asked him at the end of the day what the hell it was, and he told me it's pretty much an airbag for your body. He said the problem is, once it inflates, it can tumble you. Spuds like a good/cool idea but I'm curious as to whether or not it could provide more harm then good.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Actually my suit is way oversized since I've lost about 25 LBS but I could see it maybe being a problem. The problem could easily be corrected by simply pushing it down and then sucking in just to get it zipped up. If it's that tight, maybe you should invest in one size up for your suit. :/

just took off my liner and noticed its several pockets with foam padding, looks like that was the problem...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Someone on a R6 at the track had one and he was pitted next to me. The whole time I thought it was a camel pack thing for water. I asked him at the end of the day what the hell it was, and he told me it's pretty much an airbag for your body. He said the problem is, once it inflates, it can tumble you. Spuds like a good/cool idea but I'm curious as to whether or not it could provide more harm then good.

there is some crash testing on youtube...i think anything more than 60 mph will throw the rider into a snowball roll, prolly loosing limbs on the way for very high speeds.. some premium suits have a tiny one just around the neck i think

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do you still need to have a back protector even when you got a jacket?

Leather has good abrasion protection, but without a proper back protector (ie. NOT foam) you could still get impaled/seriously injured by falling on your back. It's not too much money to get one. Better to have one and never use it then to crash and have regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I use the forcefield L2... They are great...

Instead of being made out of plastic, they use this new component that is soft on soft crashes and becomes really hard when you hit it...

So it give a real good protection (one of the highest ranks infact) and the adapt perfectly to your body/suit since its flexible in aññ directions...

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/

They also make chest protections too!

Highly recomendable... but very higlhy!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
What Soponcio said, get Forcefield. I have their chest piece and it's super comfortable in addition to providing great protection. I wanted to upgrade to their back protector from my Dainese Wave, but it just wouldn't fit under my suit in combination with the chest protector so anyone buying suits and protection should probably be trying it all on at the same time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts