Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I have a question that I'm posting for a friend. It isn't actually a CBR question, since his bike is an R6 but I think it applies to all bikes.

We installed a Yoshimura R-55 Full Exhaust, along with a K&N High Flow Air Filter. He then got his bike tuned professionally.

Now my question is, his bike still backfires at high RPMS right when he shifts gears. Is this normal behavior for a bike with these modifications, even after a tune? And how damaging is the backfiring to his bike?

I figure a lot of you have similar modifications on your bike, and I'm wondering if all of you experience backfiring, even after you get it tuned.

Thanks,

Cruz

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
A friend of mine still has backfiring on his 04 R6 after a "professional" tune. It is not a huge concern if it comes from the exhaust after a shift. It means it's running rich, and the unburned gasses are being ignited when they hit oxygen. Far less of a concern than running lean. many bikes will do this, watch IOM TT in slow motion and you will see.

If his air filter is becoming moistened with gasoline take it back & get it retuned ASAP.

Fast forward to 2:40

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
backfiring is not damaging at all, most of the time

sounds liek the tune has the bike dumping a lot of fuel into the motor, and when he lets off the throttle for a split second to shift, there a bunch of unburnt fuel .... when it mixes with enough oxygen (at the end of the esxhaust can) it burns/blows up, this a back fire.

you cna also get a lean backfire ... but i wouldnt expect this if the tuner was half way copetent

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
It's a good thing, at night flames shoot out of his exhaust! (if he deleted the cat)

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Can exhaust baffling be hurt by fuel? If you are back firing a lot will it prematurely wear the muffler?
i doubt it, fiberglass is fairly resiliant...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts