Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
having a problem with my 03' CBR600RR bike. Dead battery after driving for a bit. Battery voltage:
not started 12.4v
Idle 11.5v
2000 rpm 12.5v
5000 rpm 12.9v
Just want to be sure if it's the battery or rectifier before I buy new parts. I'm hoping it's not stator!
I replaced the Rectifier about 5 years ago with OEM because it was over charging.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,825 Posts
Test the stator. It's not hard to do. Meter on AC volts, unplug the stator connector and check volts between all 3 lines. Should be 20ish at idle, and over 50 at 5000

You cannot diagnose a problem without testing. There is no way for anyone here to tell you what is wrong based on the information you have provided.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Test the stator. It's not hard to do. Meter on AC volts, unplug the stator connector and check volts between all 3 lines. Should be 20ish at idle, and over 50 at 5000

You cannot diagnose a problem without testing. There is no way for anyone here to tell you what is wrong based on the information you have provided.
Ok...I'll check the stator for voltage. Just use the tester leads in each of the 3 lines? Does the negative test lead have to be grounded? Just asking because I don't want to fry the stator!

Thanks,
Bill

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,825 Posts
there are 3 wires. call them A B and C. measure A to B, then B to C, then C to A

the stator has no ground reference so there's no point in measuring to it.

you can't fry the stator measuring volts, no matter how you hook up the leads (unless you short it out with one lead somehow), volts measurement is high impedance, it doesn't draw any appreciable current.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are 3 wires. call them A B and C. measure A to B, then B to C, then C to A

the stator has no ground reference so there's no point in measuring to it.

you can't fry the stator measuring volts, no matter how you hook up the leads (unless you short it out with one lead somehow), volts measurement is high impedance, it doesn't draw any appreciable current.

Thanks! Will try it!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Got 20v at idle and 54v at 5000rpm. So that seems ok. Whew!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a follow up...
replaced battery, added extra battery ground wire and installed new Rick's rectifier. Here's where I'm at.....

not started 12.8v
Idle 11.6-12v when hot (1000rpm)
Idle 13.9v when cold (1300rpm)
2000 rpm 12.5v when hot
5000 rpm 12.9v when hot
Stator puts out 15v AC at idol
Stator puts out 55v AC at 4000rpm

So after all that it still seems my battery is still not charging properly when hot. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
336 Posts
Your problem is the stator. Did check it using the diode check function of your meter? Pull your cover off and I bet you have at least one burnt coil. I just went through the same thing on my 07.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your problem is the stator. Did check it using the diode check function of your meter? Pull your cover off and I bet you have at least one burnt coil. I just went through the same thing on my 07.
I did do a voltage check and resistance check on stator. Checks ok.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Which rectifier did you buy? And did you check volts at the rectifier itself instead of the battery?
I bought a Rick's Hotshot regulator. I wanted something to just plug and play and have good quality. I will check voltage on rectifier asap!

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Which rectifier did you buy? And did you check volts at the rectifier itself instead of the battery?
Between rectifier harness side plug-in and battery side I'm getting 12.5 V Bike is off.
With bike running at idle 3.5v on positive wire at rectifier output and 7v at 4000rpm . Same specs when I check the other positive wire on rectifier output.
Stator with bike at idle now seems lower at 4v and 50v at 4000rpm

Hope this helps!

Bill

1 - 20 of 31 Posts