Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few cars and that's what I prefer in the rain. I'm pretty meticulous about the 600 and always park the bike in the garage. It let up a little bit so I put on my gear, then it started raining and since I had all my gear on I said lets ride. Is it bad for the bike, the chain and other parts and my riding gear?

Also it made this burning smell more noticeble since the rain, but I smelled this before for about 30 seconds. It's not leaking anything, drives great, no white smoke from the exhaust, it's coming from right underneath the handle bars. There is some dirt on the headers I'll try to clean but it doesn't smell like dirt burning.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Riding in the rain wont hurt the bike at all just give a good wipe down when you get
home from your ride , clean and re wax the chain
The burning smell is normal its simply water evaporating off the hot headers

·
Registered
110 Posts
That smell comes from all the water on the gound spashing and hitting your bike. Its oil, and all other types of fluid that cages drip all over the road and when it rains it gets splashed on your bike and headers and turns to steam. Which is why it smells odd. I call it smelling like the road. Cause after awhile it gets on your clothes and everyone at work looks at me like i dont shower. :retard:

Rain isnt bad for your bike as long as you keep the chain nice and pretty it wont rust on you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
regarding the burning smell, I've smelled it before when it was dry. Just more noticeable in the rain. It's supposedly kind of normal even in dry weather according to some. I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't forget the forks! Don't want those rusting either.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Don't forget the forks! Don't want those rusting either.
I dont think the front forks on 07+ can rust... ??? Prove to me they can...

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
i love the smell and the steam that comes up...
Are you riding through creeks? I've been in the middle of a torrential downpore, flash flood like, and dont recall steam... sure a slight smell after I stop, but steam? lol 4x4 cbr ....

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Are you riding through creeks? I've been in the middle of a torrential downpore, flash flood like, and dont recall steam... sure a slight smell after I stop, but steam? lol 4x4 cbr ....
ad in the middle of that downpour, the front tire kicked water up to your hot headers, which produced steam

to the OP's question

Riding in rain will NOT hurt the bike, honda made the bike so it can be used in all climates

im not sure why people get the idea that its bad to ride in the rain, it has never made sense to me, ffs, its effectivly no different than a car people.

·
Registered
546 Posts
now if the bike were in deep water (up to the front air intake) and the air intake was drinking water you could hydrolock the cylinders, but if water was that deep you really shouldn't be riding. RI flood of 2009 resulted in many hydrolocked cars, including a nearby audi A8, as people tried to get home from work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've tracked in pouring rain. Bike has 32k miles riding in everything from 120* through Texas deserts to light snow in Oregon. Still runs like a dream and runs down newer 600s. Just make sure rustable parts are lubed/sealed up and wipe it down when you get home.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Like everyone said, it won't necessarily hurt anything, but it does mean you will have to pay closer attention to all lubrication points that ever get wet, and watch for rust on anything...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Riding in the rain wont hurt the bike. You should have the ambition to get out there and ride in the rain to improve your street riding skills.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
^^ Disagree there!!!

The bike will be fine ridden in the rain, and its pretty good fun to. You just have to be aware that it will handle differently and that you cannot go as fast or stop as fast, also don't be afraid to get of the side of it a little to keep it more upright.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts