Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't anything new but it's slowly starting to bother me more and more. The bike is a 2006 CBR 600RR with 30k Miles.
I did an oil change and coolant change at 29k Miles and the smell was there before then too.

Every time after a ride where my bike is fully warmed and I park in the garage it smells like an old rag that was wet with water then had fuel dumped on it and then dried...
After like an hour or two the smell will be gone. Note that I turn off my bike outside the garage then open the garage and push the bike in every time.

Any ideas on what it might be?

·
Registered
389 Posts
This isn't anything new but it's slowly starting to bother me more and more. The bike is a 2006 CBR 600RR with 30k Miles.
I did an oil change and coolant change at 29k Miles and the smell was there before then too.

Every time after a ride where my bike is fully warmed and I park in the garage it smells like an old rag that was wet with water then had fuel dumped on it and then dried...
After like an hour or two the smell will be gone. Note that I turn off my bike outside the garage then open the garage and push the bike in every time.

Any ideas on what it might be?
Check for leaks anywhere and everywhere.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check for leaks anywhere and everywhere.
As far as oil, coolant, suspension it's all clean.
But fuel I'm not sure where i should start looking? I mean tank is probably the first place but like is it common for the gas cap to leak an odor or should i be looking under the tank

·
Registered
389 Posts
If the gas tank cap wasn't sealing it would just smell like gas vapors, not what you are describing. Lift the gas tank and check the fuel lines for leaks. Investigate the area thoroughly. It sounds like you have a slight fuel leak somewhere.

You may also want to check out the gas tank overflow and vent tubes. The vent tube is connected to a charcoal canister and then goes into the air box, while the overflow just drops down by the rear tire.

Reactions: benga

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the gas tank cap wasn't sealing it would just smell like gas vapors, not what you are describing. Lift the gas tank and check the fuel lines for leaks. Investigate the area thoroughly. It sounds like you have a slight fuel leak somewhere.

You may also want to check out the gas tank overflow and vent tubes. The vent tube is connected to a charcoal canister and then goes into the air box, while the overflow just drops down by the rear tire.
Is there any visuals to a fuel leak or is it all just based on smell?

So far with my nose it smells like it's coming from the left side right above the left case. I think by what is called the evap canister.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts