Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states:

My battery slowly gets drained when my lowbeams are on. I had an LED volt meter hooked up and voltage is at 12.7 WITH the lowbeams ON and voltage begins to slowly drop as I ride the bike and will only get about 3-4 starts with it.

NOW, if I UNPLUG my lowbeam, voltage reads 14.0 and stays that way no matter how long I ride or how many times I start the bike.
ALSO, if I only use the HIGHBEAM, the voltage will drop to about 12.7 and stays there no matter how many times I start it or how long it ride.

So basically, the lowbeam is causing my battery(which is new) to drain.

NOTE:
Both have stock bulbs and I never had this problem until I took a 2.5hr freeway ride.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Possibly the regulator/rectifier going out? Check voltage at the battery with the bike at about 5K rmp, it should be around 14 volts.
Since it runs fine with the high beams you may have a short somewhere. I've never gotten into the headlight wiring so I can't really help you there.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
R u doing this tests with the bike running or not?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly the regulator/rectifier going out? Check voltage at the battery with the bike at about 5K rmp, it should be around 14 volts.
Since it runs fine with the high beams you may have a short somewhere. I've never gotten into the headlight wiring so I can't really help you there.
Was thinking the same, but shouldn't the bike die when the HIGHBEAM is plugged in and ON too? Voltage doesn't jump no matter the RPM

R u doing this tests with the bike running or not?
Yes, bike is running. I'm on the bike riding it

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If the voltage stays the same at 5K rpm that it is at idle, you definitely have a charging issue. Most likely culprit is the regulator. Not sure why only the low beams are draining the battery, that's strange.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts