Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Can you tell me what I need to replace in order to get my bike to start everytime. - 2003 600RR

Right now if it sits for a couple of days, I cannot get it to start via start button. I have to either push start it or put it on a battery tender.

The garage where I park my bike does not have electrical outlets so the battery tender is out of the question (i think). Push starting it is what I have been doing, but that sux.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO START THE BIKE normally.

Here is what I know:
* The battery is fairly new ( < 6 months) (and I have a feeling the one that was replaced is good too)
* If I monitor battery voltage, it idles at about 12 and change, and climbs to 14 as I rev to about 5k

My Hypothesis:
* I'm pretty certain that the battery is NOT the culprit.
* The alternator should be ok since the voltage is increasing with rpm's

From my experiments, I think that the battery is charging but for some reason is not holding a charge when sitting).

I have read about the rectifier (R/R system) being bad on '03 's. What's that and how do I check it? Also read about the heatsheild... what does that have to do with anything?

The next test is to unhook the battery terminals and let it sit, then next time I go riding, reconnect the terminals and see if it starts. That will tell me if something is drainging the battery when the bike sits.

You suggestions are appreciated. I will only bring it to the dealer as a last resort (I've heard of things like R/R system being fixed under warrantee for 03's). I want to try to fix the problem myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I agree with your thoughts so far. Find out how much voltage does the battery hold after its fully charged? Should be above 13.0v.

The heat shield helps to prevent the R/R from overheating. When that happens the volteage can fluctuate and damage the battery.

Checking your R/R is pretty much what you've already done. The only thing I see is the voltage seems a bit low being 12.??v while idling.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Methinks:

low voltage at idle = battery problem

...but the battery is not old...

?

Right now I got is slow charging overnight. We'll see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts