Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

battery life

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  SPR SLO 
#1 ·
how long have you all got out of your stock batteries, mines an 03
but in general what did yall get?

#10 ·
im wondering if it might be the cause of my bike not starting ...... im not sure that its giving enough juice to the fuel injection and plugs to get the thing to run .....i had it die once before where you get the click click click click of the starter but this time its turning over and everything but im just wondering exploring it as a possiblity at this point......it charges on my trickle charger very quick and then looses that charge very quick so ill snag a buddies battery and see what happens

#11 ·
What was the voltage reading? Anything below 12.4v and the bike won't crank. Read the battery label.

I've learned a few things about the charging system of the RR over the past 2 years.

1) Running your high beams has nothing to do with it cranking or not.

2) The bikes charging system doesn't recharge the battery to full capacity like a car. No matter if you run high beams or not.

3) Repeated cranking is what drains the battery over time. Crank after crank is drawing the voltage out of the battery by the starter and the alternator simply can't recharge it.

4) You NEED to recharge the battery every 3-4 months (or use a trickle charger) regardless of how it cranks. Guys/gals with the 05-06's models can tell a big difference in the sound of the starter when the battery is fully charged. It spins up really quick because you guys have a high torque starter. The 03-04's models don't so it basically sounds the same not matter what.

5) When you charge the battery you need to charge it for 5-8hrs with a 1amp charger. You cannot use the "Quick charge" method as this doesn't fully condition the battery.

6) 12.0v is NOT enough voltage for our bikes. Even though it's a "12v" system, you need 13.0-13.8v on a fully charged battery. Anything below 12.4v will give you problems in cranking.

#12 ·
ok but if i were to have only 12v will i get the click click click noise of the starter not working

or

could it still turn over but not have enough juice to power the fuel pump and plugs to cause the bike to run

im trying to figure out why im not getting the fuel or fire..... ive checked plugs which werent incredably bright but there was still a spark so i was hoping maybe just a new bat could do it other wise its going to get even more sticky

#18 ·
sorry to resurect a thread that's a month old, but hey - at least i searched first...

where would you recommend buying a trickle charger?
(and for the record, my friend put some pop-up blocker on my computer so i can't even see any site sponsors to check out their websites)

#19 ·
Jota21 said:
sorry to resurect a thread that's a month old, but hey - at least i searched first...

where would you recommend buying a trickle charger?
(and for the record, my friend put some pop-up blocker on my computer so i can't even see any site sponsors to check out their websites)
I bought my charger at Advanced Auto for $13. Make sure you get one with a built in regulator or it specifically says that it won't damage the battery if the charger is left on overnight.

For the PUB, hold CTRL and click on the link.

#21 ·
What are the prices for the battrees, and if its not starting the bike will a charger do me any good or not. I want to ride this weekend but all the parts stores are saying they have to special order it.

#24 · (Edited)
bobbyp600rr said:
What are the prices for the battrees, and if its not starting the bike will a charger do me any good or not. I want to ride this weekend but all the parts stores are saying they have to special order it.
Take your battery to AutoZone, Advanced Auto parts, or the dealer and have them run a load test. If the battery is good just buy a charger at the auto parts store. They're much cheaper then the dealer. Just make sure you get a 1.0amp charger with a built-in regulator or it specifically says you can leave the battery on charge overnight and it won't overcharge the battery. I got mine for $13 at Advanced Auto.

Ichiro said:
why do motorcycle batteries die so quickly compared to automotive ones?
It a different system and used differently. Most people don't ride thier bike as often as they drive their cars. So the battery doesn't get conditioned like it should. That's where the battery charger and qaurterly maintenance come into play.

#26 ·
I'm glad I used the search button. My battery is now completely dead after 11 months of just about daily driving. It seems these strings of 104 degree heat has drained it. I've trickle charged it 4 times in the past 2 weeks, and finally this morning it wouldn't even click, despite showing fully charged. Anyone know why our batteries can't be one of the 24.99 or 36.99 ones, instead of the 89.99?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.