Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with my battery and need some help...first off, I've searched endlessly to find the exact situation to narrow my issue, to no avail (maybe I suck at the search function).

First, I took the battery and had it load tested at the dealer and they said it was a good battery (its 2 yrs old now). When I fully charge the battery, it will start the bike just fine...the more I ride it, the less power it has. Basically seems like its not getting properly charged. So I charged it again, rode it a few times...and got home from work yesterday and tried to restart it and it barely turned over, but started. Came back out a bit later and tried, and it turned over about half way and then was completely dead.

Doesn't seem like a starter issue and doesn't appear to be related to heat issues... only thing I've came back with is maybe the regulator? Getting my meter this weekend and will test it..

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Measuring the charging voltage would be a good place to start... once you have that, measure the resistance of the stator windings.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I got my bike tore apart to test everything... My ohms from all combos of the stator are .1. My battery is around 12.5v before I start it, and then idling jumps to around 14.3 once the bike is warm. I also noticed there's not much difference in the charging amps, maybe .1-.2 volts, and idling?

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Ok. Check all of your battery connections and make sure they are tight.

What voltage do you get at 5k rpm with the high beam on?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of my battery connections are tight...I'm getting almost the exact same voltage charging as it is idling (around 14.4). I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Just monitor it and see how you go. Something is definitely not right...

If you have a decent quality multimeter measure it on the AC+DC range and see what AC ripple is on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts