Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new owner of an 03 600rr. I know this issue has been addressed a lot but I can't seem to find the right solution.

I've been trying to figure out a battery problem with this bike. Basically, the battery isn't charging enough while the bike is running. First I thought it was the battery so I had the guys at NAPA check it and they told me it was fine (it was also a new battery). Next I went to the regulator/rectifier, so I changed that out. The problem persisted so I also replaced the stator coil. Changing the stator seemed to help a bit, but it's still not charging enough and dies after 2-3 rides.

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Tried using a multimeter over the battery terminals whilst the bike is running? Voltage should read around 14-15 if the alternator is working correctly, if not you know where the problem lies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Did you change the stator or the coil? Check the voltage with everything off, and again a couple hours later to make sure there isn't something slowly draining it. Then check voltage at the battery with the bike running. You should get around 14V @ 5K rpm. Also, check the wire and especially the plug that goes to the regulator. I had an R6 that fried two of the terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
It's possible that something is shorting out your battery. This is going to be hard to trace but I would start with anything dealing with electrical made from aftermarket.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That current leakage test it talks about, you would put a amps meter in series between the battery neg. post and the neg. cable. It says no more than 2 milliamps. Thats .002 amps. If it does read over that start disconecting fuses and rectifier/regulator to narrow down where to look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts