Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know my battery is probably dying and I'm looking to replace it pretty soon, but hoping to get some life out of it, I charged my battery using a schumacher charger and left it for a few days. I just reinstalled the battery (in the video, it's the 2nd time starting it) and I am curious as to see if this is normal when revving...

it drops to like 4 volts and i don't think I even broke 5k rpm yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well make sure the leads on the battery charger are not vibrating loose. Do you have a multimeter?
Yeah they're tight. I dont have a multimeter at the moment, only a voltmeter.

I'm convinced it's the battery because when i picked up the bike, it died a day or two later, clickclicklickclick...then after the recharge, i tested how many start/stop cycles before the battery gave out again and it was 5. But if anyone else can shed some more light on this matter, that would be great!

Plus, it's the original battery since 07.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,287 Posts
i have an 07 and recently had to replace mine, got the bikemaster tru gel

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
If you know your battery charger is connected good and your voltmeter shows the same thing then I agree with Nico. But before you go replacing things double check all your PIN connectors, main ground wires, and the battery cables. Make sure everything is corrosion free and tight. Pull the battery and have it load tested. Even if the battery is bad the R/R should be putting out @ 14.5v.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I think what is happening is that a couple of the diodes in the rr have died, when the bike is idling the rr isn't putting out to much voltage and all seems well, then as you rev it the output of the rr reduces sucking power out of the battery and reducing what the meter is seeing.

If I'm right after around 10-20 seconds at +3k rpm the rr should be quite hot to touch, maybe even enough to burn.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tested it again today in the afternoon when all the freaking mosquitoes aren't out yet, and it seems my R/R is fine. Hahaha, I think what happened is that when I left the voltmeter on the battery, I didn't leave it secured, so it's just touching the terminals. Whenever I rev, the vibrations causes it to intermittently lose contact, thus causing a low reading like I previously posted...

So, I held the voltmeter's terminal tightly and clamped on the (+), revved to 5k, output is 14-ish (forgot the exact readings)

Where is the R/R located exactly and how do I test it?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You just did test it... 14V @ 5k is fine.

Looks like you found your problem...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
No problem is a good problem! Like Nico said that's basically it. The only other thing the SM says to do is turn on your high beams while you're testing but I didn't see a big difference between high and low beam.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

Anyone know much about the Shorai lithium batteries? They seem pretty nice and has a major advantage over the old lead-acid technology. Plus it has more CCA! Since my battery is on its last legs, I'm looking into getting a Shorai lithium

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Catch is even though you gain CCA, you generally lose out on the Ah when you go for a lithium battery...

Have a look at BrowningBuck's Motydesign batteries as well... they are very well priced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts